Goat-O-Rama Kids of 2017
My how he's grown! A proper teenager now, and with an awesome coat Smile
Happiness is a baby goat snoring in your lap
Well, it looks like we might not be done with kidding in 2017.  Confused

Petunia has been looking very "healthy" (read that FAT!) all fall and during the last two weeks I've noticed a sizable bulge growing steadily on her right side. She's the only doe who hasn't come into heat. Most of mine didn't start cycling until late September this year, but by now all of them have--except her. Remembering back, there was a brief time in July when the bucks were still running with the herd during the day without aprons. I remember thinking that Petunia would likely be the first doe to cycle, but I didn't have to worry because she has the noisiest heats in the world. When she starts, she wakes the whole county so I figured I'd be very well notified to keep the boys locked up. Well, there was one day in July when she seemed to be flirting with the boys in the pasture, but they weren't in rut and didn't seem overly interested, and by the next day she had lost interest too. I figured it was nothing and forgot about it--until now. Now I'm slapping myself for not paying closer attention because if my calculations are correct, it looks like we'll be welcoming babies just in time for Christmas. I'm not sure if they'll be Rocky's or Rambo's or both. The killer part of it is that I was planning to breed her to Sox because I thought they'd make a beautiful match. I even paid the pricier fee to get him registered with ADGA as a buck. Dang it! Sox's new owners have been keeping him intact for me. I'm just kicking myself right now. 

Oh well. I'm sure the babies will be adorable, and I couldn't ask for a better Christmas present than baby goats (even if I don't want winter kids!). Petunia is a strong, healthy doe and an excellent mama. As long as she has twins and not triplets she should be ok. She's herd queen so she never has to worry about not getting enough to eat. I wish I had an exact due date. I may send in a blood sample just to be absolutely sure she is actually pregnant and not just fat.
Just think of the fun names you will have to choose from with Christmas babies!

Yesterday Sugar was in standing heat so I put she and Jet into the "love pen" for 24 hours.  I don't have carnal knowledge but Sugar's vulva has evidence.  I'll do a blood test in 30 days to see if she's pg if she doesn't come back into heat before then.  She is a first freshener and this is Jet's first breeding.  They were both willing!   Tongue
Goatberries Happen!
We had an accident too... Kingsley was castrated so I didn't think much of it when I took the herd for a walk. Well we had a "Goats Gone Wild" episode, Echo was in heat and he mounted by Kingsley 9 days after he was castrated but she hasn't come back into heat yet. The worst part is that she was bred (well maybe, I have doubt that he can reach) to Bagheera the earlier that day so if she is pregnant I don't know who the sire is either.
Today we stroll the neighborhood, someday we'll climb mountains together..  Heart
If its a must know kinda situation, you can send in blood samples to ADGA and they will DNA test the father...(s) Smile
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
(10-18-2017, 12:53 AM)GoldenTreePackGoats Wrote: We had an accident too... Kingsley was castrated so I didn't think much of it when I took the herd for a walk. Well we had a "Goats Gone Wild" episode, Echo was in heat and he mounted by Kingsley 9 days after he was castrated but she hasn't come back into heat yet. The worst part is that she was bred (well maybe, I have doubt that he can reach) to Bagheera the earlier that day so if she is pregnant I don't know who the sire is either.

I'll bet it was Bagheera that got her. While it's *possible* for a goat to still be fertile nine days after castration, it's unlikely the sperm would still be viable. But with goats and breeding it seems like anything is possible. I'm amazed how far those little stinkers can reach when they're determined. We had one buckling (Napoleon) who started trying when he was about three weeks old. None of the girls were in heat, but he would get a running start, make a flying leap onto their backs, and start pumping away before he got bucked off. He was a tiny baby so that made it even more hilarious. We had to separate him from the girls very early on, and when he reached three months his jewels were already way too big for our elastrator even though he himself was no more than average size. Having bucks on the premises is tricky and accidents seem to happen from time to time. "Where there's a willy there's a way!" 

If your doe is not long bred, you can give her lutalyse to abort this pregnancy and bring her back in. I had to lute a couple of my does this year because they weren't cycling after we got back from vacation. I think my little Lightning got to them while we were gone (stinker!). Since they were only about 4-6 weeks along there was no blood or trauma for the doe. With Petunia, since I suspect she's about three months pregnant, I'm not going to put her through an abortion. At this point her body would have to go through an actual delivery process and I would have to dispose of fetuses. Not something I really want to do.
I know in the dog world its suggested to keep away from intact females for 6 weeks minimum after dog has been neutered. Well I know that now.. I guess sperm can remain viable in the tubes for up to 42 days. If she has taken it is what it is, I'm not going to lute her. Kingsley has grown on me a little bit, but bagheera is just a beautiful strong built goat.

That is just too funny! I wish I could see a video of this running jump from a little 3 week old!
Today we stroll the neighborhood, someday we'll climb mountains together..  Heart
(10-18-2017, 07:23 AM)Dave-Trinity-Farms Wrote: If its a must know kinda situation, you can send in blood samples to ADGA and they will DNA test the father...(s) Smile

Really? I'll have to look into that. I think it will be obvious, Bagheera Alpine, and Kingsley Saanen but if its not I will look into that. One is registered one's not, could be important.
On Monday Phil and I decided to walk around our old stomping grounds at Lake Beckwith in Colorado City. We brought Coral and Sanibel with us. It was their first time leaving home and their first time being away from their mamas. They handled it very well. 

The reflections on the lake were phenomenal. 

Sanibel is scheduled to go to her new home on Saturday. We're going to miss this little munchkin and she's going to miss her cousin Coral. They've become good buddies since their brothers left in August. 

My little Coral. I can't get over her sweet, pretty face and those adorable wattles! 

Those are so really beautiful reflections, love the fall colors.