Weigh Day for the future Ben Lomond packers.
Beautiful goats!

I'm kind of curious about the whole weight thing and how much all the early growth matters. Cuzco was not very big his first year but ended out at 38" tall and 200+ lbs. at four years. Pac-Man was nine months old when we got him and couldn't have weighed more than about 60-70 lbs. I could still lift him into my truck, while my doe kids from last summer had been too big/heavy to lift into my truck since they were four months. I could lift Cuzco until he was six months.

Fast-forward four months and I'm pretty sure Pac-Man is as big or bigger now than Cuzco was at his age. Pac-Man is just over a year old and he's far outgrown the girls who weighed half again what he did back in January. The most marked growth, I'm pleased to say, is in his legs. He's gotten very tall and leggy but has some decent muscling too. I'll never like Pac-Man's conformation the way I love Cuzco's, but I'm pleased (and a bit surprised) to say that I'm pretty sure he's going to end up every bit as big as Cuzco. I'm even more pleased to note that a lot of Pac-Man's height is in his legs, which have suddenly gotten very long. I really like long-legged goats.

Keep us posted on how your guys grow out! It's interesting to see how different goats age.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Weigh Day for the future Ben Lomond packers. - by Nanno - 05-16-2014, 07:23 AM