Anyone ever heard of a Saanen Oberhasli cross
Do you have an oberhasli doe too or just a wether? If you had a doe you could just find a saanen buck but otherwise it would be tricky. I would think this is a case of being very lucky and finding one on CL, or contacting someone with an oberhasli or saanen doe and working out an agreement to have her bred to a buck of the other breed. This would probably be more expensive than just buying a kid and it would be a bit of a risk as the resulting kid might be a doe.

If it were me I'd get a saanen and let her fall in love with it as a kid, then hope the other requirements (small horns and fuzzy) are less important to her.

I do have an alternate idea: you're in or near Washington state, right? There's a cashmere goat for sale on CL, I think it's a buck but you should double check first, if you bought him and worked out an agreement with someone who has a saanen doe, you'd probably get a very soft and fuzzy kid out of it. You could sell the buck after if you don't want him.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/grd/d...38836.html

Or you could buy a saanen doe and breed her yourself, then sell her once you get a buckling. Basically, I don't see a way to get a saanen/ober very easily. I would think that crosses with other short-haired breeds might result in a kid that was big, chill, and fuzzy enough, even if it's not as fuzzy as your ober.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anyone ever heard of a Saanen Oberhasli cross - by Deborah Haney - 01-15-2018, 06:00 AM