Pack Goat Central

Full Version: Anyone ever heard of a Saanen Oberhasli cross
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey Guy,
Trying to do a little research for my daughter.  She has been really wantingvto get a kid goat but she put a few requirments on it.  She wants a big goat that is supr chill, has smallish horns, and is soft and fuzzy.  My Ober is very soft and fuzzier than my Alpines, his horns are alot smaller and he is pritty chill.  I did a little reading about Saanens and they are suppost to be pritty chilked out also.  I think  can control some of the horn growth throw weathering.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestion about finding one of these crosses or any better suggestions for a better bread of goat.

Thanks Guys!!!
Do you have an oberhasli doe too or just a wether? If you had a doe you could just find a saanen buck but otherwise it would be tricky. I would think this is a case of being very lucky and finding one on CL, or contacting someone with an oberhasli or saanen doe and working out an agreement to have her bred to a buck of the other breed. This would probably be more expensive than just buying a kid and it would be a bit of a risk as the resulting kid might be a doe.

If it were me I'd get a saanen and let her fall in love with it as a kid, then hope the other requirements (small horns and fuzzy) are less important to her.

I do have an alternate idea: you're in or near Washington state, right? There's a cashmere goat for sale on CL, I think it's a buck but you should double check first, if you bought him and worked out an agreement with someone who has a saanen doe, you'd probably get a very soft and fuzzy kid out of it. You could sell the buck after if you don't want him.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/grd/d...38836.html

Or you could buy a saanen doe and breed her yourself, then sell her once you get a buckling. Basically, I don't see a way to get a saanen/ober very easily. I would think that crosses with other short-haired breeds might result in a kid that was big, chill, and fuzzy enough, even if it's not as fuzzy as your ober.
A Saanen/Ober cross should be really nice. I believe the white is dominant so the kid would be white, maybe with a little rust-colored hair down the spine and around the head. Both breeds have a good reputation for being gentle and calm. Horns are kind of a personal thing. I've seen some huge-horned Obers and Saanens (especially Saanens). The only breeds I've seen that consistently have small horns are Boers and Nubians. Goats wethered at only a few months old will have smaller, thinner horns than ones wethered later, but even goats wethered young can get enormous horns if they have the genetics. As for the soft, fuzzy coat, you're just going to have to trust to some luck on that one. Some goats just seem to be softer than others, and I've seen this across breeds. Once again, the only goats I've seen that consistently have very soft coats are the Nubians and Boers (although the Nubians are more soft and silky/sleek than fuzzy). Best of luck to her!
Here is one minus the horns but he has a couple other things that may need to be dispensed of.
https://spokane.craigslist.org/grd/d/goa...77327.html
(01-15-2018, 09:50 PM)IdahoNancy Wrote: [ -> ]Here is one minus the horns but he has a couple other things that may need to be dispensed of.

Oooooh, he looks really fuzzy! Looks like he fits the bill pretty closely (if he was a wether).
You guys are 100% correct!!!  My 6 year old dauther and 4 year old son would lose there minds.  Thst $250.00 price tag is a downer though.  Thanks for the other ideas for a goat for my kids.
You could ask if they would lower the price if he was to become a weather
(01-15-2018, 11:27 PM)Mike Wrote: [ -> ]You guys are 100% correct!!!  My 6 year old dauther and 4 year old son would lose there minds.  Thst $250.00 price tag is a downer though.  Thanks for the other ideas for a goat for my kids.

I thought the post for the SaanenxOberxMancha said $125? Or are you referring to the Cashmere post?
(01-15-2018, 09:50 PM)IdahoNancy Wrote: [ -> ]Here is one minus the horns but he has a couple other things that may need to be dispensed of.

He's pretty! What a fun, unusual color! Not at all a bad price. I wonder how his personality is?
Sorry, ya I was talking about the little fuzzy dude.  That cross would be perfect but my other three boys all have horns and can be fiesty.  I looked around on the google and found mini obers.  I think that might be the way I end up going.  Again thanks for all the imput and ideas!!
Pages: 1 2