Wet Weather Goats
(12-24-2015, 07:49 PM)Nanno Wrote: Just to clarify, do you feed one 8 oz. can 3 - 4 times a day? Even if they share, that's almost 2 cups of grain every day per goat. That's more than I'd want to feed, especially since one of your goats is mature. That's how much Cuzco gets every day and he is 200 lbs. and 13 years old. I also feed about that much to girls in milk and to intact boys during rut.

I'm not the nutrition expert, and I know a lot of folks feed more grain than I do, but I'm definitely leery of giving wethers grain at any time except as an occasional treat. Grain contains a lot of phosphorus, which is linked with urinary calculi. If you would like to give them a daily ration, I would recommend switching to alfalfa pellets. Alfalfa is rich in calcium, so could also can mix your sweet feed with alfalfa pellets to balance out the phosphorus content. A goat's diet should contain about a 2:1 calcium to phosphorus ratio.  

Goats definitely love push brooms to scratch on! I installed some on Cuzco's shed many years ago and he spent a lot of time scratching his head and rubbing his body on them. I've replaced them a few times but they're pretty worn out right now. Thanks for the reminder! Maybe my goats will get a late Christmas present this year. Wink
Hello Nanno
I'll take on hand "Experience" over a "Nutrition Expert" everyday. Thanks
I'll finish up the sweet feed I have and transition to a pellet alfa/grass I can get and use for horses too.
I keep Hay Cubes Alfa/timothy on hand for horses and soak them along with BP and DE for horses.
I think I have heard goats do not do well on horse hay cube size feed.
I have seen were goats can use BP dry but don't like the idea. Sweet BP wet ok for goats, you think?
Goats and horses here get Pepermint Candy Cains ,Apples, and Carrots for Christmas Day Treats. (if they like them)
Still raining and wet here.
Back to feed I just want them to come in as they free range all day around here (Only When I am here) they deserve a treat for coming to call in my book and sticking around on Guard duty.  Wink
They both tie well and I have a high line setup that they are used to being on.
I could use some halters for then though.
Collars are all I have right now. Good Ones.
Any suggestions for how to measures their head for a good fit.?
I have some foal halters around I have been thinking about trying on them.???? Possible?
Glad my little mention of push broom heads was of benefit to you and your critters.  Smile
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays
hihobaron and all the critters here.

Messages In This Thread
Wet Weather Goats - by hihobaron - 12-23-2015, 10:54 AM
RE: Wet Weather Goats - by Taffy - 12-23-2015, 07:46 PM
RE: Wet Weather Goats - by hihobaron - 12-23-2015, 09:12 PM
RE: Wet Weather Goats - by Nanno - 12-24-2015, 08:51 AM
RE: Wet Weather Goats - by Nanno - 12-24-2015, 08:54 AM
RE: Wet Weather Goats - by hihobaron - 12-24-2015, 06:35 PM
RE: Wet Weather Goats - by Nanno - 12-24-2015, 07:49 PM
RE: Wet Weather Goats - by hihobaron - 12-24-2015, 09:21 PM
RE: Wet Weather Goats - by hihobaron - 12-25-2015, 03:47 PM