Pack Goat Central

Full Version: Wet Weather Goats
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello All
Weather here in SC is warm 60' and wet.
I thought Goats were "Supposed" to "Melt" in the rain???
I went up to the neighbors to feed their Sanine's (Dairy) and all 7, Two roosters, and one Great Peyerines LGD were comfy in their run in shed.
The Other LGD was guarding the other side were the goats don't get in because that is were the dog food is.
Their Welch Pony was out grazing but came up as soon as the hay storage door was opened. Of course the goats all 7 mugged me for hay.
4 jumped into storage area and were figuring "Hay Day".
Pony ran the other goats off and kept them away till I could get hay out and into feeders.
Once he has his hay pile the goats can come back.
He dose have his uses.  
Moving On: The goats locked in the hay storage area.
They got grabbed and "invited" to Exit Stage Center.  

My Goats: Seem to like being wet???
Now that the Red Neck Goat Shed is up and they like it.
I leave the gate open all day, but they browse around the camp most of the time or Supervise Outside jobs.
They will work around with me when I am doing chores in heavy drizzle or light rain, browse in the woods when it is raining.
Heavy Rain they will Fort Up on their own in the shed.
Do I have a line of Non-Melting Goats here???  Wink

Question for Ya'll:
Free Choice Goat Mineral (Loose)
The only goat mineral I can get locally is from Mana Pro the bag label looks good , includes copper and stuff for Calcli (sp)
My TSC handles it.  
Any Opinions on it for free choice mineral for my two wethers?
I would also "sprinkle" a little with their sweet feed once a day.
I LOVE that photo! :-)
(12-23-2015, 07:46 PM)Taffy Wrote: [ -> ]I LOVE that photo!  :-)

Hello Taffy
I shot that early this year when the "boy's" got into the boat shed and were "snooping"
That was the same time all the lowlands of SC were being flooded out by the 1000 year rain and some have not recovered yet.
I am still holding high ground here and dealing with another 3 day rain and wet /damp weather extending over Christmas.
Santa is going to need a boat to make it through our area.
Rudolf had better make sure he has Marine Running lights on his nose and the Boat. (Red for Portside/ Green for Starboard side)
Enjoy the Red Neck Christmas Tree with the boy's here. Smile
Love the life jackets!

MannaPro is a good mineral I believe. Free choice is the way to do minerals if you can. You have to put them somewhere dry where the goats can reach but the horses can't, and also where the goats can't poop in it. I don't do free choice because the only good place for my mineral feeder is outside, so I've figured out (through experimentation) exactly how much my goats eat every day and I put exactly that much in the mineral dish each morning. My goats will usually eat 1/2 - 2/3 of the minerals right when I put them out, and they'll lick up the rest throughout the day. By evening chore time there's never any left.

Be careful how much sweet feed you give your boys. Male goats are very susceptible to urinary tract stones, and grain is often blamed as a primary contributing factor. My boys never get grain except as an occasional treat (like when giving shots). As long as your hay is high quality and they have plenty of natural browse there's usually no good reason to give daily grain to a wether. You'll find that wethers typically have no problem keeping weight, and in fact keeping them from becoming overweight as they mature is a more common issue.
By the way, don't your goats pull the lights off your "redneck Christmas tree"? We always have to make sure that any lights hung around here are high and dry! Those shiny, colorful little bulbs are just too tempting for my crew and they nibble at them like berries.
(12-24-2015, 08:54 AM)Nanno Wrote: [ -> ]By the way, don't your goats pull the lights off your "redneck Christmas tree"? We always have to make sure that any lights hung around here are high and dry! Those shiny, colorful little bulbs are just too tempting for my crew and they nibble at them like berries.
Hello Nanno
Nice chating with you today. In the Chat room Big Grin 
Thanks for your info on Manna Pro Goat Mineral.
The way I am set up I can feed it under good cover and away from the horses.
RE: Sweet Goat Feed for my boys?
How much is to much?
I feed a 8 OZ can they have to share 3-4 times a day more a treat when you consider both eat out of same bucket?  To Much?
I have some goat mineral (loose) from Dairy goat people I have been using "Don't Know" what it is.(Company)
But as you said and I have seen Saanines do milk well and when in season Neighbors push all the goat milk on me I want. Big Grin
Fresh off the goat and Chilled on ice right away. NOTHING BETTER to have on cereal, or cook with. Yes, I cook,bake,to.
Even with a wood stove and Dutch Oven. Need any Spike Camp Cooks out there that can handle stock too?  Wink
BTY: I grew up on Cow Milk right out of the bulk tank on the farm.  MMMMM Good. Goat Milk is much better.

I am a little worried about "kidding" season ? Here with the Sannines.
If they get a cute Buckling they just auction it.
My worry is they might try to gift one to me?? 
I do have the problem of "What is One more animal" Rolleyes
The sire of this batch is a well bred Alpine buck.
You said you liked your Alpine/Sannine doe, and I take it a nice buckling would be a good pack goat prospect?

Goat Tip of the Night:
I worked with Gypsy Vanners in Texas for a while (Foaling season and Breed back) Vanners are VERY Hairy, long coated.
Great Dispositions, even Studs.
They had very stiff push broom heads (Plastic Bristol type) bolted to solid post and barn corners for horses to rub and de-hair themselves.
The way goats like to rub on stuff I would think the above idea goats would love and save some of your fences and such.

Happy trails
Merry Christmas
hihobaron and the troops in South Carolina.
Just to clarify, do you feed one 8 oz. can 3 - 4 times a day? Even if they share, that's almost 2 cups of grain every day per goat. That's more than I'd want to feed, especially since one of your goats is mature. That's how much Cuzco gets every day and he is 200 lbs. and 13 years old. I also feed about that much to girls in milk and to intact boys during rut.

I'm not the nutrition expert, and I know a lot of folks feed more grain than I do, but I'm definitely leery of giving wethers grain at any time except as an occasional treat. Grain contains a lot of phosphorus, which is linked with urinary calculi. If you would like to give them a daily ration, I would recommend switching to alfalfa pellets. Alfalfa is rich in calcium, so could also can mix your sweet feed with alfalfa pellets to balance out the phosphorus content. A goat's diet should contain about a 2:1 calcium to phosphorus ratio.

Goats definitely love push brooms to scratch on! I installed some on Cuzco's shed many years ago and he spent a lot of time scratching his head and rubbing his body on them. I've replaced them a few times but they're pretty worn out right now. Thanks for the reminder! Maybe my goats will get a late Christmas present this year. Wink
(12-24-2015, 07:49 PM)Nanno Wrote: [ -> ]Just to clarify, do you feed one 8 oz. can 3 - 4 times a day? Even if they share, that's almost 2 cups of grain every day per goat. That's more than I'd want to feed, especially since one of your goats is mature. That's how much Cuzco gets every day and he is 200 lbs. and 13 years old. I also feed about that much to girls in milk and to intact boys during rut.

I'm not the nutrition expert, and I know a lot of folks feed more grain than I do, but I'm definitely leery of giving wethers grain at any time except as an occasional treat. Grain contains a lot of phosphorus, which is linked with urinary calculi. If you would like to give them a daily ration, I would recommend switching to alfalfa pellets. Alfalfa is rich in calcium, so could also can mix your sweet feed with alfalfa pellets to balance out the phosphorus content. A goat's diet should contain about a 2:1 calcium to phosphorus ratio.  

Goats definitely love push brooms to scratch on! I installed some on Cuzco's shed many years ago and he spent a lot of time scratching his head and rubbing his body on them. I've replaced them a few times but they're pretty worn out right now. Thanks for the reminder! Maybe my goats will get a late Christmas present this year. Wink
Hello Nanno
I'll take on hand "Experience" over a "Nutrition Expert" everyday. Thanks
I'll finish up the sweet feed I have and transition to a pellet alfa/grass I can get and use for horses too.
I keep Hay Cubes Alfa/timothy on hand for horses and soak them along with BP and DE for horses.
I think I have heard goats do not do well on horse hay cube size feed.
I have seen were goats can use BP dry but don't like the idea. Sweet BP wet ok for goats, you think?
Goats and horses here get Pepermint Candy Cains ,Apples, and Carrots for Christmas Day Treats. (if they like them)
Still raining and wet here.
Back to feed I just want them to come in as they free range all day around here (Only When I am here) they deserve a treat for coming to call in my book and sticking around on Guard duty.  Wink
They both tie well and I have a high line setup that they are used to being on.
I could use some halters for then though.
Collars are all I have right now. Good Ones.
Any suggestions for how to measures their head for a good fit.?
I have some foal halters around I have been thinking about trying on them.???? Possible?
Glad my little mention of push broom heads was of benefit to you and your critters.  Smile
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays
hihobaron and all the critters here.
Dont feed grain. If you want to feed something in pellet form, do alfalfa pellets. Think of grain as candy vs alfalfa as a salad. Grain is only needed for milking does. To keep them occupied while you milk and as a slight boost over the hay they are being fed. Bucks and wethers never need grain. They will get infinity better nutrition from a high quality alfalfa.
(12-24-2015, 09:21 PM)hihobaron Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-24-2015, 07:49 PM)Nanno Wrote: [ -> ]Just to clarify, do you feed one 8 oz. can 3 - 4 times a day? Even if they share, that's almost 2 cups of grain every day per goat. That's more than I'd want to feed, especially since one of your goats is mature. That's how much Cuzco gets every day and he is 200 lbs. and 13 years old. I also feed about that much to girls in milk and to intact boys during rut.

Hello Nanno
I'll take on hand "Experience" over a "Nutrition Expert" everyday. Thanks
I'll finish up the sweet feed I have and transition to a pellet alfa/grass I can get and use for horses too.
I keep Hay Cubes Alfa/timothy on hand for horses and soak them along with BP and DE for horses.
I think I have heard goats do not do well on horse hay cube size feed.
I have seen were goats can use BP dry but don't like the idea. Sweet BP wet ok for goats, you think?
Goats and horses here get Pepermint Candy Cains ,Apples, and Carrots for Christmas Day Treats. (if they like them)
Still raining and wet here.
Back to feed I just want them to come in as they free range all day around here (Only When I am here) they deserve a treat for coming to call in my book and sticking around on Guard duty.  Wink
They both tie well and I have a high line setup that they are used to being on.
I could use some halters for then though.
Collars are all I have right now. Good Ones.
Any suggestions for how to measures their head for a good fit.?
I have some foal halters around I have been thinking about trying on them.???? Possible?
Glad my little mention of push broom heads was of benefit to you and your critters.  Smile
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays
hihobaron and all the critters here.

Hello Nanna and Dave
Thanks for the info on grain for wethers.
Just to clear up the amount I feed of grain. I use a 8 OZ. soup can to measure with, it is a Volume measure NOT by weight.
About 2 good handfuls.
As long as I have you up.
What are your feelings on Dimataiouse Earth (DE) in goats for "Iintestinal Parasites" and fly control?
I have used it for years in horses and wet it to keep dust down and feed it with Beet Pulp Mash. 2X a day part of their normal feed.
I also worm with Ivermectin  3 times a year,  Very few flies around barns and here is SC, DE works on fire ant hills too when directly applied.
Have also used DE on Lice and Mange Mites. Works good in horses.  Wink
Merry Christmas
hihobaron
Pages: 1 2