Hello all
Hi,
    My name is Kyle. I live in a small town in Northern California. I am an avid hunter, and would like to get some pack goats. I have no knowledge of pack goats and would like to be, when l when i do get them. I have a few questions. What should i start to read to learn about pack goats. What kind should i get get? I heard alpine is a good one.  Is there anyplace i can get goats that are ready to go. Please let me know what you guys thing and any advice is greatly appreciated! thank you.
Welcome! I'm glad you found us!

It can be harder to find good packgoats that are trained and ready to go, but every year we get a few people who are selling out of packgoats or moving and need homes for their mature boys. We have a classifieds section here, and sometimes you can find packgoats on Craigslist. I hope you find what you're looking for!
Thank you I have found the classifieds and i have made some calls already. I look forward to the future.
Howdy Kyle. Glad you found us Smile
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
MTmanstyle87
Hello, Welcome
I am on the other side of the country from you South Carolina but have worked in Northern and Southern California several times. How close to Sacramento are you?
Look through my post here starting with Stowaway Goats, then move into Truck Chasing Goats.
I am a hunter and equestrian, now a goat person too.
My back ground has involved livestock for over 38 years and even a couple goats in that time. They were farm pets/companions for horses, not pack animals. Now I have trailed with Pete and Sam around here and have had as much fun with peoples reaction to goats on the trail as any thing else.
What Breed to Get?
Answer: Pete and Sam are Alpine X Nubian and the 2 new boys are Alpine X Saanen Born in March of this year.
Blizzard and Fuzzy (New Boys) will not pack for a few years, but will get to trail soon.
Any full size milk goat breed (wether) can be a pack goat, what you need for a good one is a very people bonded personality. (Bottle Baby/ hand raised) and sticks with you like a good dog.
If you have trouble training a dog don't get a goat (Goats are smarter than a dog)
Happy Trails
hihobaron Blizzard,Fuzzy,Pete,Sam and the Troops in south carolina.
(07-10-2016, 04:16 AM)hihobaron Wrote: MTmanstyle87
Hello, Welcome
I am on the other side of the country from you South Carolina but have worked in Northern and Southern California several times. How close to Sacramento are you?
Look through my post here starting with Stowaway Goats, then move into Truck Chasing Goats.
I am a hunter and equestrian, now a goat person too.
My back ground has involved livestock for over 38 years and even a couple goats in that time. They were farm pets/companions for horses, not pack animals. Now I have trailed with Pete and Sam around here and have had as much fun with peoples reaction to goats on the trail as any thing else.
What Breed to Get?
Answer: Pete and Sam are Alpine X Nubian and the 2 new boys are Alpine X Saanen Born in March of this year.
Blizzard and Fuzzy (New Boys) will not pack for a few years, but will get to trail soon.
Any full size milk goat breed (wether) can be a pack goat, what you need for a good one is a very people bonded personality. (Bottle Baby/ hand raised) and sticks with you like a good dog.
If you have trouble training a dog don't get a goat (Goats are smarter than a dog)
Happy Trails
hihobaron Blizzard,Fuzzy,Pete,Sam and the Troops in south carolina.

Hello HIhobaron,
                     I am only two hours  North West of Sacramento I will give stowaway goats a look. I do have good patients, which sounds like i will need. I want to be fully aware of all things that goats require. The good thing is i have forest to take them for hikes only a 1/4 mile away from my house. The goat breeds you have listed are the ones that have caught my attention and most likely I will get. I am keeping my eye on the classifieds and hoping to get two to start with. I don't need to pack a full elk out, just blacktails which are way smaller. I am willing to take a road rip to get the right animals to call mine. Thanks for all your help and these people on this forum are super helpful. With reading goat literature,and the internet videos i am sure i will learn a bunch. Like i said before, I look forward to what the future has in store for me and my pack goat quest.
A good book is Practical Goat Packing by Carolyn Eddie found on Northwest Pack Goats & Supplies. Look at the diet book and 1st aid book also. The Pack Goat by John Mionczynski is helpful. Another awesome book is Langston University's Meat Goat Production Handbook Book. It is by far the most comprehensive book about raising any goats. Good luck.
(07-10-2016, 09:30 PM)IdahoNancy Wrote: A good book is Practical Goat Packing by Carolyn Eddie found on Northwest Pack Goats & Supplies. Look at the diet book and 1st aid book also. The Pack Goat by John Mionczynski is helpful. Another awesome book is Langston University's Meat Goat Production Handbook Book. It is by far the most comprehensive book about raising any goats. Good luck.

Thank you for the information. I will get those ordered up.