Who Uses Oberhasli?
I wondered who was using Oberhasli for packing in the PNW and how you like their size and temperament?
Goatberries Happen!
I liked mine very well. I did have 1 quit on me but the bigger of the 2 was a great packer. They were very quite and easy to deal with for the most part.also were more accepting of my younger alpines than my current 4 year old alpine and togg
I happen to have a very biased opinion after 8 years. They are handsome, friendly, colors blend with nature so calming to wildlife, loyal, hardworking, quick to learn, quiet, cold and heat tolerant, good with water crossings, easily fenced, and content to stay where you put them in camp. All round perfect goat but you need to shop around and find breeders making big ones.
And I've seen some that have *amazing* horns. The big round knobbly ones that even Alpines are jealous of.
I will always have Alpines and love my two. I also admire obers and am bringing home a purebred doeling this spring. My alpine doe Pickles finally took after being bred again to that large over buck Earl I shared in a previous thread. I can't wait to see the kids and am hoping for some large bucklings. For large oberhaslis be sure to look for the Sento line.
(02-07-2016, 12:45 PM)IdahoNancy Wrote: I happen to have a very biased opinion after 8 years. They are handsome, friendly, colors blend with nature so calming to wildlife...

HA!! Now that last bit made me laugh because here I am breeding the loudest, most colorful Hawaiian-shirted goats I possibly can. We're not into calming the wildlife--we want to make those critters think they're missing out on a block party! One thing's for sure... I'll never lose a goat because he blends into the countryside. Cool 

I have to say though, if I were going to pick a solid-colored breed, Obers would be the one. Those bay coats are gorgeous.
Mine are amazing. Definitely my favorite. Primarily for there agility. Secondly they work hard. What they lake in size they make up for in caricature.