Feeding of Baby Packgoats
I just got 4 one month old baby packgoats on Friday. I am bottle feeding them 16 oz of lamb milk replacer (can't find goat replacer) twice a day. Once in the morning and once in the evening. I have water available for them at all times and alfalfa as well. This is the first time with bottle babies and I could use some help if possible. I want them to grow BIG and STRONG and healthy.

- How long should I feed them the milk replacer? They are one month old now.
- Should I give them any grain or other feed?
- any other suggestions?

I appreciate any help...I also attached a picture...they are fitting in well and my daughter spends more time with them than us.....    
You should be feeding them a 50/50 mix of milk replacer and whole cows milk. 16 oz for them is light. Me I let them eat till they are finished but thats just me and thats goats milk. Most people follow a calculation of their weight vs. how much you should feed them. You can hit the goat spot and ask or maybe just look it up on the net. Taking them off their mom so early is going to hurt their growth the most. Could feed them 3 times a day to help offset that. If the seller wasnt feeding them replacer before, you should have some probios ready to help with the squirts they will most likely get from the feed change. Should be coming up on their CD/T booster time. So Id check into that

Cutie looking babies and what an adorable pic Smile
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
(04-13-2015, 08:09 AM)Dave-Trinity-Farms Wrote: You should be feeding them a 50/50 mix of milk replacer and whole cows milk. 16 oz for them is light. Me I let them eat till they are finished but thats just me and thats goats milk. Most people follow a calculation of their weight vs. how much you should feed them. You can hit the goat spot and ask or maybe just look it up on the net. Taking them off their mom so early is going to hurt their growth the most. Could feed them 3 times a day to help offset that. If the seller wasnt feeding them replacer before, you should have some probios ready to help with the squirts they will most likely get from the feed change. Should be coming up on their CD/T booster time. So Id check into that

Cutie looking babies and what an adorable pic Smile

The person I got them from was bottle feeding them with the same lamb replacer I am using....They recommended twice a day...16 ounces as they were "eating" alfalfa too. They were taken off the mom as I believe they were using the mothers for milk. They had their first shots...I was told....but forgot to ask what the 2nd shots were and when to give?
Thanks!
Feeding the same thing is going to go along way to keeping them regular Smile So other then the amount being upped a little, they should do just fine. Id give them a little bit grain as well for the next month. Nothing with cracked or rolled corn. And then just keep the alfalfa in front of them.

(04-13-2015, 09:00 AM)Dave-Trinity-Farms Wrote: Feeding the same thing is going to go along way to keeping them regular Smile So other then the amount being upped a little, they should do just fine. Id give them a little bit grain as well for the next month. Nothing with cracked or rolled corn. And then just keep the alfalfa in front of them.

Thank you for you help...I will get them some grain...I assume that they can eat as much as they want as they are not yet neutered and we don't have to worry about kidney stone?.....Any suggestions on when to neuter them? I was just gonna band them.....as I have done many cattle that way and it is the "easiest" and less painful...and cheaper.
Thanks
I suggest the grain cause its easier for them to digest over hays. By the second month their stomachs should be good to go and you can take the grain away. I prefer 5 months but many do them at 3 months.