I think GoatPacking is a bit older than 25 years...Article: "A Brief History..."
Peugeot and Studebaker Goat carts anyone???

Thor, you still out there???

I take nothing away from the American GoatPacking pioneers like John Mionczynski but it looks like its been around for awhile. Big Grin

Article: Brief History of Harness Goats

Quote:"There is also record of a Goat pulling a plough in Crete at about the same time. In the Himalayas goats are still used today as they have for centuries, carrying packsaddles loaded with luggage across rough terrain....

...The Goat appears many times in mythology. Thor, the God of Thunder, drove a pair of fierce horned billy goats to draw his chariot, each time he threw his hammer it caused thunder and lightening. (Next time you hear Thunder, remember, it is just Thor driving his pair of goats across the sky!)...

......Many animals including goats have been used over the centuries to carry pack saddles or pull carts, transporting various goods. The goat has proved itself to be a very versatile working animal."

Thx for reintroducing it to us John!

Cheers,
Cool article! It just confirms naming my first packgoat "Thor" was a good choice Smile
Where is Bob Jones when you need him. He was a long standing Packgoat Forum member who somehow always had a lovely way to add a touch of the ridiculous to things like mythology.
(04-23-2014, 09:24 PM)IdahoNancy Wrote: Where is Bob Jones when you need him.
I know...right?!?

I really wished that we could get many of the old crew back here, they had much to offer. Anyone heard from him? know how to get a hold of him?

TOU
Bob has an account here and posted once then disappeared. He had kinda quit posting on the old forums some time before we transitioned over. Not sure why, but sometimes life happens I guess. Herb (Charlie Horse) went for a hiking trip with him not that long ago I think. It was in the last issue of Goat Tracks.
(04-23-2014, 09:44 PM)Nanno Wrote: Bob has an account here and posted once then disappeared. He had kinda quit posting on the old forums some time before we transitioned over. Not sure why, but sometimes life happens I guess. Herb (Charlie Horse) went for a hiking trip with him not that long ago I think. It was in the last issue of Goat Tracks.

Glad he is still packing, sorry he & others seem to be MIA. Dodgy