Greetings from Western Montana
New to this message board, but not to goat packing. At least, not BRAND new!

Used my saanan boy "Grover" on about 15 mountain lake backpacking trips last summer. He did well, except for true to his breed he didn't like the hot weather. Still, I'm sold on goat packing.

Any other goat packers out there in Western Montana? It seems like I'm an anomaly on the trial. I've been asked, "What is that? You can pack a GOAT?" 

One time, I was returning from a backpacking trip while hauling Grover in a small trailer behind my SUV. I was stopped by a flagger due to road construction (in Montana we have nine months of winter and three months of road construction). While we waited for the all-clear to continue, the flagger noticed Grover in the trailer. She joked, "Taking your goat for a ride?" I explained that Grover is my pack goat. She'd never heard of such a thing!

Montana Mike
http://www.mike@mikeraether.com
Well its sure easier if the goat is actually wearing packs. For the first couple years people would just see some guy walking goats as if they were dogs. I'm sure they were scratching their heads!

Welcome aboard, Montana Mike!
Hello there! Glad you found us! I know what you mean about people giving you funny looks as you drive around with goats in your car or truck. Folks in our area refer to us as "the goat people" because we often have a couple of goats riding in the bed of our pickup. Smile
Howdy MT Mike, Headed to Anaconda this weekend to ski. I live in North Idaho.
Montana and Wyoming never cease to amaze me. People are so down deep true to their horses the cannot fathom packgoats. The women will contemplate the idea for a moment but the men, no way. They generally give me that "it's fine if your a little daft" look, "you can probably get professional help and then go git yourself a horse"
Oregon and Washington are little more open minded. Idaho, well we are just use to the unusual be usual.
WELCOME MONTANA MIKE... I'M NEW TO THIS FORUM AND NEW TO GOAT PACKING. HOPE TO GIVE IT A GO THIS SUMMER AND TEST THE WATERS Smile
(12-26-2016, 09:21 PM)IdahoNancy Wrote: Montana and Wyoming never cease to amaze me. People are so down deep true to their horses the cannot fathom packgoats. The women will contemplate the idea for a moment but the men, no way. They generally give me that "it's fine if your a little daft" look, "you can probably get professional help and then go git yourself a horse." Oregon and Washington are little more open minded. Idaho, well we are just use to the unusual be usual.

I hear you about people being wed to their horses. Hunting season before last I took Grover to pack extra stuff for me (three miles into elk camp). The younger generation thought the idea of a pack goat was pretty cool. The older generation thought I was crazy. Yeah, crazy like a fox: don't have to pack feed, don't have to trim hoofs or attach shoes, easy to transport, they don't bite or buck, easy on the environment, sure footed, easy to keep, and goat raisins make great compost!

Montana Mike
www.mikeraether.com
Welcome Montana Mike! I'm in central Montana. People thought I was a little odd, always hiking with a pack of goats & dogs, but now the goats have become sort of local-celebrities. =)

I have good horses, but I never pack them. I prefer my goat buddies on the trail. Some people find that odd, but I don't care. LOL.
(01-03-2017, 08:39 AM)MosesBrowning Wrote: I have good horses, but I never pack them.  I prefer my goat buddies on the trail.   Some people find that odd, but I don't care.  LOL.

Horses are too much work for me. And anyway, I'm not a horseman.
(01-03-2017, 08:39 AM)MosesBrowning Wrote: I have good horses, but I never pack them.  I prefer my goat buddies on the trail.   Some people find that odd, but I don't care.  LOL.

What kind of goats do you have and how many?
Glad to see some closer to my neck of the woods. I'm just getting started. Looking at a couple alpine/lamacha cross kids to start the string. Any how hello from Deer Lodge area..