Wether Identification
Ok. I'm doing my identification research right now. I see that this thread is a couple years old. 

Taffy, how is the certificate and tattoos working for you? I'm really thinking of tattoing and collar tags.
I have not had to prove ownership so far.

The combination of the wether identification certificate and a tattoo are a good combination.

My goats all wear collars when we are out (not in their pens) with identification tags with their name on one side and two telephone contact numbers on the other side. One number is my cell and the other is a person who will not be hiking with me. Cell phones don't always have reception where I hike.

Microchips are also an excellent form of proof of ownership.
Goatberries Happen!
(10-26-2016, 09:26 AM)Taffy Wrote: My goats all wear collars when we are out (not in their pens) with identification tags with their name on one side and two telephone contact numbers on the other side.  One number is my cell and the other is a person who will not be hiking with me.  Cell phones don't always have reception where I hike.

Microchips are also an excellent form of proof of ownership.

I have done something similar with my dog. She is microchipped. Someone has to scan for that to work and I may or may not still be in the area. I also have two collars. One for when I'm home or she is with me on the road, say in another state. I has my phone number. The other room is for when I'm not around, say she's at home and I'm o hee road. That one has Jessica's number. 

I like the idea of two numbers on one collar for the goats.
I know this is a few years old. I'm looking in to ways to have a way to identify my goats when wer'e out. I'm not going to be able to do microchips the only vet is 3 hours away and refuses goats because "it's just a goat there's no need for this it's a waste of time and money" this is what I wanted to say "well he's my goat if I want him microchiped so I can take him out of the state then why won't you just do it I mean it's not like i'm asking you to do it for free" I would rather not get the tattoo set for just one or two goats. Is there any way I could get the Certificate of Identification from ADGA without tattooing them? Any other ideas?
Happiness is a working goat
You have to tattoo or tag in order to identify. I prefer tattoos over microchips for goats because if a goat is lost or stolen, the brand inspector and other folks in charge of identifying livestock are unlikely to scan for microchips in animals considered livestock. They do look for tattoos and ear tags. You can get ear tags and a tagger for free from your state vet. The tags from the state are small metal ones and not too disfiguring like the plastic kind. You can't do any kind of ID without having some sort of permanent identifier on the goat. ADGA wouldn't do a certificate of ID for Cuzco because he only had a tattoo in one ear and it didn't match any herd ID. Herd ID's are required for any ID system recognized by the USDA.
Thank. What would I tattoo a non registered goat
Your state will give a herd ID number and a handful of tags with numbers on them. The state does not care if the goat is registered anywhere. I gave my goat one of the tags with a number on it. There are still 8 tags left over in a box. No one know which tag is on the goat and which one is in the box until the vet comes to do a health inspection. The vet records the Herd ID you were assigned and the tag number you gave the goat. If your goat never sees a vet the goat tag may never get written down on any official document. We travel out of state and I have never had anyone ask about my goats but I have an Idaho state Herd ID and tags with health certificates just in case.
First, call your state vet and get a premises ID. They'll send you a box of ear tags and a tool to insert them. However, you are not required to use them provided your goats are tattooed. If you have LaManchas then you have to tattoo since they don't have external ears (LaManchas are tattooed in the tail web). My herd tattoo is registered with ADGA, which is recognized by the USDA. However, I breed dairy goats so it makes sense for me to be an ADGA member and register my goats through them. Your situation may be different. I would talk to the state vet and find out what your options are in regards to ear tags vs. tattoos.
I would prefer to tattoo. I can get the tools needed from valley vet supply and have a friend who knows how to tattoo them. I am getting help from some people on The Goat Spot to track my Alpine buck's papers.If i'm able to track them I would become a ADGA member would they give me a herd tattoo?
If I become a member of ADGA would they give me a certificate of identification for a non register able tattooed whether?