I recently realized my 18-year-old retirement dream of goatpacking when Kathy Shellorne's Washington herd became available in January. We picked them up on Valentine's Day and introduced them to their new southwestern Colorado ("Four Corners") home a couple days later.
The herd is a 6yo Ober, 6yo Ober/LaMancha, and two 3yo Alpines. We started hiking immediately - even when it snowed - and started weight training 2 weeks ago. It's now totally dried out at 8000' and we're anxiously waiting for the NFS to open their gates to the high country.
I encountered my first packgoats in 1997 when hiking the Colorado Trail (CT) as a 50th b-day present to myself. As CT Foundation members and trail crew volunteers ever since, my wife and I would have liked to adopt a CT trail segment and use the goats to facilitate access, but no segments are currently available. I recently talked with our local NFS San Juan Forest District trail maintenance superintendent in Dolores and have been given the choice of trail adoption in the Lizard Head Wilderness (Telluride) or the Highline Loop which intersects the CT in the La Platas (Durango/Mancos). Can retirement get any better?
I'd be delighted to hear from nearby members and need input that only experience can provide. Also, I need to replace the lame 6yo Ober/LaMancha with an experienced herd orphan who needs a good and loving pack home.

Bob and Dana Fetterman (Barn Lizard Bob)
Mancos, CO (We live across from the entrance to Mesa Verde)
Welcome! We're glad you found us! So cool that you're from SW Colorado. I grew up in the San Juan mountains. I'm from Lake City. I don't live there now, but it sure is a beautiful area. I love going back to visit whenever I get a chance. I haven't been to Mesa Verde in almost ten years! Maybe it's time to make another trek out that way sometime.
Welcome! Smile
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)