Picking up our new baby buckling today!
(02-23-2015, 03:43 PM)Dave-Trinity-Farms Wrote: True dat. A fellow breeder had a dog attack a few weeks ago in which one of the does she bought from us had its throat torn out. Turns out it was her own dog...

Oh that's so sickening. If any dog of mine ever killed or injured a goat, there would be a fluffy dog hide on my wall that night. There was one time when Daisy tackled Snickers and I just about wrung her neck. He was just a little tyke, maybe a week or two old. It was during that time when Petunia was recovering from mastitis and had half-rejected her kids since she couldn't feed them properly and they were driving her crazy trying to nurse that dry teat. Daisy adopted the babies, and she and Snickers formed a really close bond. I guess Daisy started to think he was hers and one day I saw her tackle him to the ground and roll over with him like he was a puppy. A puppy would have loved it, but Snickers was terrified. Only moments before he had been napping on top of Daisy like she was a bed. I threw Daisy on the ground and shook her by the scruff of the neck and scolded. She never did anything like that again that I saw. I think she already knew she'd crossed the line even before I punished her and she felt terrible. Still, I have to remember that no dog, no matter how trustworthy, will ever be 100% safe. She's been wonderful for driving away the coyotes this past year, though! If it weren't for Daisy I doubt we would have any goats left except Cuzco--he's too old and tough for anyone to eat!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Picking up our new baby buckling today! - by Nanno - 02-23-2015, 08:28 PM