The ultimate pack goat.......in theory
Fascinating thread. Hand raising of any species gives a far different adult then herd or pack raising. The adult is bonded to the human.

I myself would love to buy some 1/2 Ibex does to breed to a Kiko. It would be fascinating. What is the mature size of the Ibex buck? I am thinking that a 1/4 Ibex would have shorter horns. But horn length is not as big a concern to me as it is to some others. A horned animal ALWAYS knows where its horn is, goats, caatle, elk, you name it. I have had Texas Longhorns, and they would deftly cant their head aside to let me reach a grain pan to add some grain . Move it just 4-6" aside to let me pass. So, horns are not that a danger concern to me.

I am interest in breeding a larger goat to carry more weight and the Ibex cross should if anything add more dexterity .

BTW, for those more towards the East of the country there is a Kiko breeder in Ill with a very good herd, Kikocraigadams.com, he is sold out now but will have kids soon. I am considering a buckling from him.

I am going to do some searching on Ibex breeders in the U.S., this thread has got me wondering and thinking. What if............?

It is impossible to detect a difference between the DNA of an arctic wolf, and a Siberian Husky. I would make a pretty good bet that the DNA of a hybrid Ibex/domestic goat and an Alpine or Kiko would be likewise. If, two species are close enough that they can produce fertile offspring then for all practical purposes their DNAs are going to test the same.

Jake

Mikado, MI

Messages In This Thread
The ultimate pack goat.......in theory - by nebs - 01-07-2014, 08:25 PM
Snow Day! - by Saph - 01-08-2014, 11:13 AM
RE: The ultimate pack goat.......in theory - by Jake Levi - 02-08-2014, 06:01 AM