Hello from San Jose, CA
Your goat is more likely to injure himself if he gets away from you! It would be really hard for him to pull away in a halter since he can't lean his whole weight into it. Also, you eliminate the problem of choking him. My goat, Cuzco, used to strain so badly on the collar that he would make himself hack and cough and I was worried about injuring his throat, particularly if he spooked suddenly or tried to take off when a dog showed up. I wouldn't tie a goat up unsupervised in a halter for very long (for instance, no high lining), but they're great for leading or for tying up while you're handling him. I always tie Cuzco in a halter while clipping, bathing, medicating or anything else that requires more control. I see Gidge has horns, which is a bonus for using a halter. My favorite thing about horns is that they make haltering much simpler since there's no possible way for the goat to slip out of it without breaking the halter. This is a very good reason not to tie him up by it unsupervised, but it makes for a foolproof restraining system if you have a very large goat that doesn't want to cooperate.

Messages In This Thread
Hello from San Jose, CA - by AmyB - 01-04-2014, 10:45 PM
RE: Hello from San Jose, CA - by Huckleberry - 01-05-2014, 08:46 AM
RE: Hello from San Jose, CA - by Nanno - 01-05-2014, 09:35 AM
RE: Hello from San Jose, CA - by AmyB - 01-05-2014, 01:09 PM
RE: Hello from San Jose, CA - by Nanno - 01-05-2014, 02:33 PM
RE: Hello from San Jose, CA - by AmyB - 01-05-2014, 02:51 PM