Hello from NM, Valais Blackneck breeder!
Hi Everyone, we live in New Mexico and live right across the road from 45,000 acres of State Land, where we have a very busy elk, deer, bear, and mountain lion hunting seasons. Our goats get to free range and climb the mountainsides with us.
This past year we were very honored to take over the only Valais Blackneck goat breeding program in the US. We think the wethers would make excellent packgoats due to their back legs being larger then other Swiss breeds (alpine, togg, Saanen, ect) and their more muscular body structure (they were originally a dual purpose breed, instead of being just milk). They are incredibly strong goats (wrangling even 1 year olds can be hard) and very thrifty eaters. They grow slowly like the Alpine, but when we had alpine and Blackneck kids last year, the Blacknecks tended to be bigger.
We are currently kidding with 50% Alpine and 50% Blackneck kids. They are proving to be very tall and leggy with slightly shorter coat length.
Well, thanks for letting us join!
Alex and Julia    
Welcome! This looks like a very interesting breed! I'll be curious to see how they work out as packgoats. I love the unique coloring.
(02-21-2024, 07:51 PM)Nanno Wrote: Welcome! This looks like a very interesting breed! I'll be curious to see how they work out as packgoats. I love the unique coloring.

cool
I'm curious indeed. Hm. I've never heard of these guys before.
I don't drink beer, but if I did, I'd prefer Dos Equis.  Stay thirsty my friends!
They were almost wiped out after the Second World War and their numbers in Switzerland are still pretty low. As with most heritage dual purpose breeds, they were sidelined for high producing milking goats. They can still be found in Zermatt, where they are paraded through the town. Being high mountain climbers, they sure do love a hike.
Are they a quiet breed?
Yeah I'd like to learn more about these guys.
I don't drink beer, but if I did, I'd prefer Dos Equis.  Stay thirsty my friends!