Hello From Kansas
Hello, just wanted to check in just joined and getting into pack goating. Have raised meat goats and mainly just interested in learning more about everything. Bought a pack saddle and am planning on walking a goat in a parade around here and having candy in the panniers and letting the kiddos throw out the candy. It did make me start thinking about trying to make a "Fancy" pack saddle out of nice hardwoods and stamped leather for such occasions, if anyone has already done this Id be interested in seeing pictures! Also interested to find out if anyone is from the Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas area.
Hello and welcome! It's great to see more people east of the Rockies and from a more southerly part of the U.S.! Herb (Charlie Horse) made a fancy carved saddle years ago. If you make one, please share photos!
Here's a pic of my fancy saddle.

When I once had the goats in a parade, I was behind the Emery Telecom Candy-Throwing-Float.  They had a bucket of Bit-O-Honeys.  The goats would eat them whole, including the wax-paper wrappers, if they could find one.  The kids on the side of the street always had a big laugh when a goat would steal a Bit-O-Honey.  Especially if they pulled on the leash and leaned out and stuck out their lips and tongue to get it.
I don't drink beer, but if I did, I'd prefer Dos Equis.  Stay thirsty my friends!
Herb, you should use that saddle on Butterfly. If I remember correctly, it's built for a smaller goat isn't it?
(01-07-2022, 08:02 AM)Charlie Horse Wrote: Here's a pic of my fancy saddle.

When I once had the goats in a parade, I was behind the Emery Telecom Candy-Throwing-Float.  They had a bucket of Bit-O-Honeys.  The goats would eat them whole, including the wax-paper wrappers, if they could find one.  The kids on the side of the street always had a big laugh when a goat would steal a Bit-O-Honey.  Especially if they pulled on the leash and leaned out and stuck out their lips and tongue to get it.

Wow that is a really neat looking saddle, did you do something special to the wood to make it look distressed like that or has it just been well used? Really like the leather look with the stamping, and the wood carving.
Fake weathering. But its well built. And yeah, its built for a smaller goat in that its a tad shorter than most saddles. I find many saddles are built for monster goats and plenty of us could use a saddle thats an inch shorter.
I don't drink beer, but if I did, I'd prefer Dos Equis.  Stay thirsty my friends!
(01-07-2022, 02:57 PM)Charlie Horse Wrote: Fake weathering.  But its well built.  And yeah, its built for a smaller goat in that its a tad shorter than most saddles.  I find many saddles are built for monster goats and plenty of us could use a saddle thats an inch shorter.

Did you adjust the height of the X braces (trees maybe they are called) on top to bring it higher on the goats sides also, or just shorten the overall length of the saddle? sorry for all the questions just wanting to get as much info as possible before trying on my own, I've been a carpenter for most my entire adult life so the wood part doesn't scare me, but not having a plan or having ever tried building one before does.
The angle is possibly a little wider than normal (for a fatter goat). But never again will I try to tilt the X braces forward and aft like I did in this one. The cut angle is impossible to calculate. I ended up shaving and fiddling forever.
If you don't drink beer, It's really good