Are Toggenburgs really that different?
I really like the look of Toggenburgs, but they don't have the best reputation as pack goats. Is it their tendency to be on the smaller side? Or maybe their tendency towards longer hair coats? I've been told that they're more sensitive than other breeds; has anyone found that to be true? 

I don't have Toggenburgs, but my goats get regular shots, topical insecticide, various oral medications, and a yearly blood pull. I'm sure the goats think I'm just being "mean", but they still seem to love and forgive me. Would a Toggenburg hold more of a grudge against me?

It seems to be a common belief that Toggs are "different," but could someone expound?
I am not personally familiar with Toggs, but as far as packgoats I've heard nothing but good things about them. They may be on the small side, but they are very strong and tend to have some of the best feet and legs of any packgoats in the country. I hear they generally have very nice, easy-going personalities as well.
I have a half Togg, Felix, that is shaping up to be one of the best packers I've owned. His dad was big for a Togg, and his mom was huge for a female goat in general. She was half Alpine and half Nubian. He's got a weird version of brown that only the Toggs have, but he's got rather Alpine horns on him. I think people say that Toggs have some of the best personalities, but tend to be small on average.

I hear a lot about what breed is best, but all I can say is that I've had or seen gems in all breeds, and duds too.
I don't drink beer, but if I did, I'd prefer Dos Equis.  Stay thirsty my friends!
One Togg personality trait I have read about is they tend to get more independent and stand offish towards age 3. The author noted this made them a little harder to catch and get a saddle on.