Greetings from Catalina AZ
I'm Jessie. I'm looking into pack goats, doing a lot of research anyways. I'm located in Catalina AZ. We have a small herd. Possibly thinking about training this year's buckling for packing.
Nice to meet you. On the subject of educating your young goats, and as a person involved in working goats, I have concerns about Common Core pack curriculum. I suggest home-schooling your goats and teaching classical packing. There is no replacement for memorizing commands, and I find that goats taught Common Core packing will try to shortcut anywhere they can, including switchbacks. Critical thinking is essential to calculating the best path. Enough with the 'new math' stuff! They'll never find a job if they're trying to do calculations by counting their digits... They dont have enough!
I don't drink beer, but if I did, I'd prefer Dos Equis.  Stay thirsty my friends!
Welcome Jessie,

Forgive Charlie Horse, he has an outstanding sense of humor!  Tongue

If you haven't already joined the North American  Packgoat Association (NAPgA) you need to.  There are several members in Arizona!

This forum is a great place to ask questions and learn.  If you are on Facebook NAPgA has a discussion group filled with great information, too.

NAPgA holds an annual Rendezvous in different locations in the west.  This year it is near Stanley, ID.  If possible you should try to attend.  Great camaraderie, classes, a service project for the area and delicious food!

I noticed you mentioned keeping a buckling.  You'll want to have 2.  What breed(s) of goat do you have?

Enjoy your goatpacking journey!
Goatberries Happen!
Welcome Jessie! We need more Arizona packgoat enthusiasts! If you have a small herd of goats, you can have just one packgoat among them. Taffy's got some great advice, and Herb really knows his stuff when it comes to homeschooling goats! Wink
(03-21-2021, 09:58 AM)Taffy Wrote: Welcome Jessie,

Forgive Charlie Horse, he has an outstanding sense of humor!  Tongue

If you haven't already joined the North American  Packgoat Association (NAPgA) you need to.  There are several members in Arizona!

This forum is a great place to ask questions and learn.  If you are on Facebook NAPgA has a discussion group filled with great information, too.

NAPgA holds an annual Rendezvous in different locations in the west.  This year it is near Stanley, ID.  If possible you should try to attend.  Great camaraderie, classes, a service project for the area and delicious food!

I noticed you mentioned keeping a buckling.  You'll want to have 2.  What breed(s) of goat do you have?

Enjoy your goatpacking journey!

Taffy, 
I have joined NAPgA, its actually how I found this site! I'm in the facebook group too.  I discovered NAPgA thru a pack goat group with Marc W. He posted a video about joining and the rendezvous. I've learned quite a bit from his videos. 
Most of the goat herd is my mom's, the buckling I'm keeping is from her Alphine doe and Boer cross buck. The herd also has two Nigerian Dwarfs adults and one baby.  Almost all of the adults are leash trained.  My kids and I go trail walking/hiking which is what planted the seed for a pack animal. I'll be honest, its been a rabbit hole of information.
(03-21-2021, 08:08 AM)Charlie Horse Wrote: Nice to meet you.  On the subject of educating your young goats, and as a person involved in working goats, I have concerns about Common Core pack curriculum.  I suggest home-schooling your goats and teaching classical packing.  There is no replacement for memorizing commands, and I find that goats taught Common Core packing will try to shortcut anywhere they can, including switchbacks.  Critical thinking is essential to calculating the best path.  Enough with the 'new math' stuff!  They'll never find a job if they're trying to do calculations by counting their digits... They dont have enough!

In order to teach them about classical packing, I need to learn first! Right now, we are working on how to walk. The buckling runs and jumps, but isn't much for just walking yet. lol
(03-21-2021, 11:34 AM)Nanno Wrote: Welcome Jessie! We need more Arizona packgoat enthusiasts! If you have a small herd of goats, you can have just one packgoat among them. Taffy's got some great advice, and Herb really knows his stuff when it comes to homeschooling goats! Wink

Thanks. I figure starting with one will give me the experience to do my best.