Charlie Horse's 2018 Picture Thread
EAGLE CANYON PART 3

By now all of us were tired and wanted to be home... Except Luna.  She never ran out of energy and I think she traveled at least 35 miles vs our 20.

At last, back to the bridge.  I felt like we were almost back, but it was far from true!  There were many miles yet to go.

We took a lot of breaks in the shade.  Shelby has been on more hikes and I think was in better shape than Woodstock.  Woodstock liked to lay down whenever he could.  Our breaks were short though.

I knew the damaged road that runs next to the highway was going to be the hottest, most miserable part of the hike since we'd be coming back tired and there wouldnt be much shade.  Here in the background you can see Ghost Rock.  There's a scenic lookout and rest stop there if you're ever traveling I-70.  The road we were on was near the highway but other than the noise, you never would have known it was there.

Back at last!  We started the hike at 6:35 and finished at about 2:50 in the afternoon.  The goats hid in the rather cool shade of the culvert while I got the AC working in the Lexus.  They didn't mind the roar of traffic overhead.  After the drive home they got some treats and spent several hours resting in their goat houses before I saw them out and grazing with the rest.

Next time I do this trip I'll make it a camping trip.  I never really wanted to do 20 miles at once.  A two-nighter would be perfect.  However, if I had taken the canyon in the opposite direction, I'd have been in the giant sandstone dome zone!  The canyon goes for many, many more miles and the scenery is very different and perhaps even more spectacular.
I don't drink beer, but if I did, I'd prefer Dos Equis.  Stay thirsty my friends!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Charlie Horse's 2018 Picture Thread - by Saph - 01-29-2018, 09:50 AM
RE: Charlie Horse's 2018 Picture Thread - by Kat - 06-04-2018, 06:55 AM
RE: Charlie Horse's 2018 Picture Thread - by Saph - 06-11-2018, 11:05 PM
RE: Charlie Horse's 2018 Picture Thread - by Charlie Horse - 08-06-2018, 08:58 AM
RE: Charlie Horse's 2018 Picture Thread - by Saph - 12-20-2018, 08:08 PM