Two more new little Ben Lomond Packers...
(05-02-2014, 10:39 PM)Nanno Wrote: Beautiful boys! I told Vigilguy the other day that you're collecting goats like it's the end times! Big Grin

LOL Big Grin Thx...Vigilguy has been a terrible enabler/mentor to be sure. Rolleyes

Um...er...yeah, my wife said something like that too.

Actually after doing much research & talking with several notable & experienced packers, I had a specific plan from the beginning. Before I bought any last year, my plan was always to:
  1. have a herd of 6-8 solid goats...all being +40 lb packers. (Keep in mind I have 5 children & only one is married. I am also very involved with the Boy Scouts with my youngest 3.)
  2. I wanted my herd to be very diverse in make up as I don't think you want all leaders or all followers. I.E. Not all Alpines, all Boers or even Obers or Saanens.
  3. They had to be a non-horned herd
  4. I also wanted them all to be hand raised bottle babies by me.
  5. ...but I also wanted to start packing this summer with my boys as my oldest one graduates next year & couldn't wait for 4 years
That all said I bought 4 five year olds that were experienced (Alpine/Saanen)
& 4 three year olds. (1 LaMancha, 3 Boer/Alpine) All are pretty great and very bonded to me. I still think hand raised babies by you are likely more tighter bonded to you.

Additionally, I believe you plan, buy & raise your next replacement herd before you ever need them & have your existing herd help train the next generation. So I am just doing that now & the 5 guys I have will all be the same age & VERY bonded to me and each other. Interestingly, truth be told I actually also have had a standing order since last October for two more specific goats from a certain breeder. If they come through this year (late breeding schedule) I will take them as well. BUT...I will be done acquiring for another 4 years & will just hiking my BIG boys & raising up my little ones from here on out.

That's the plan anyway... Confused Wink

Thx again,

TOU

P.S. Next year I will likely start raising a couple of calves. Tongue

Messages In This Thread
RE: Two more new little Ben Lomond Packers... - by TOU - 05-02-2014, 11:26 PM