Goat Color
Assuming that the goat has good conformation do you refer a plain colored goat or one with "color?" I happen to be a color snob and like my goats to be "eye candy" along with good conformation. Smile
Goatberries Happen!
I am with you Taffy! Why not both? Smile
Phil wouldn't let me buy any goat that wasn't sporting a festive coat. Wink The conformation in our herd may suffer somewhat because of this stipulation, but when we look out the window we want it to look like there's a party out there. Of course, I'm not going to buy or breed a goat that has too many major conformation flaws no matter what color he/she is. I wasn't sufficiently thrilled with Pac-Man to keep him intact for another season, but he's also not a bad looking goat at all. Nubbin is the one least likely to turn out pack goat prospects. She's not at all the ideal pack goat type, but I'm interested to see how she is as a milker. I think she may end up being our nicest dairy doe.
I'm split on this one. I love a flashy goat, but really like the solid sleek colors of some breeds. For example Obers; nothing like a pretty Ober with a black belly and legs. I also love the dark, rich color of Toggs when they're kids.
Color for me is a practical thing. I am an avid hunter. My packgoats archery elk hunt with me. These Obers have a natural coloring that does not disturb the elk and the deer we are around. Granted my alpha carries a GPS tracker, they are all micro chipped, and have brass name tags riveted to their collars just in case.
Bad thing is that your goats look like a calf elk to an untrained eye. Just keep that in mind.
All I want for Christmas is a new hip.
Even as colorful as Legion is AND decked out in all his hunter orange gear, I wouldnt even think of taking him out where I hunt (Dayton/Walla Walla) modern firearm season. Smile
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
To quote my forbears, never seen a bad color on a good animal. I am pretty neutral on color, something to be said for all of them. If I had a choice I guess I'd go with the obers, or a cou claire, but that comes after most everything else.

Well, I'm with Nancy on the hunting, I much prefer bow hunting to guns even though I have some very good guns.

Hunter orange is to me a must color for goat packs and panniers. It'd be very hard for me not to shoot back at anyone who mistakes a pack goat with such as an elk. Not a lot to say for their sense or vision if they would mistake a goat for an elk anyhow. Think hard, and shoot once. I have 0 patience or empathy with sound or snap shots for hunters. Color me old and crochetty.

I will be doing a bit of stump shooting with the bow while walking with the goats. Hopefully one of these days they will help me pack out a deer or elk. In the meantime we can shoot dragons hiding as stumps and logs. That does tend to raise the number of arrows donated to the woods spirits though. It happens.

Jake

Mikado, MI
Totally agree Jake. I am as afraid of Legion getting shot as I am of returning fire. And this area is filled with morons come modern season. That is why I am thinking of trying my had at muzzle loader this year with my brother. But then I have 2 friends and a daughter who will be looking to me to help them fill their modern tags.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
I will be making manties out of some orange or pink camo to use on my gang this fall. Luckily bow hunters need to have a decent view of their shot but still doesn't mean they know the difference between a goat and an elk if the color is right. I've noticed intelligence isn't a prerequisite to getting a hunting license. My ober boy looks a bit like an elk if all you see is parts of him in the brush. Neon orange collars with name tags are a must for me too. I don't even ride my horses in certain areas during our rifle season without a bell and bright flagging tied on them.
[i]
Charlene in Central Orego
n
[/i]