Intro/story
I am no goat packer as of yet. I'm contented with the ideal that in the next year or less or possibly more I will acquire a goat- after I figure out a more permanent situation to return to when in Penna. I really enjoy spending time with critters- no drama, no back stabbing, no bull. I think a goat would be great for me and my dog's life style of working little and traveling and living on my uncle's 30 acres of fields and woods or even at my parent's suburban home with chickens and plenty of good natural grass and yardage to eat. Plenty for a goat to eat and to roam at either of my locations of living. I am a very active person and walk a lot, roads, woods, anywhere and so the goat would stay healthy and fit and keep his hooves worn down and get to see lots of new country and feed on a lot of good vegetation. A thread was started on a alternative traveling site I frequent about using goats for wilderness packing as most of you do and I was thinking of a road goat too.Just walking and wandering the country or where ever I am at, whether my home state or abroad. One guy on there said he had a friend that rode freight with a goat and dog. I don't think I'd be doing that, its tough enough with a dog. But, their are travelers who travel with goats. One guy said he met a trucker who seen a guy leading a goat down a highway in Washington. Goats being intelligent and trainable would be good for this lifestyle and would be extra company when alone for extended periods of time. And it would help with my romanticism of packing a critter and wandering like the old days. I believe I could fit a goat and dog into my Subaru wagon too when not on foot. Anyway's my name is L.R.- I write a lot, read a lot, draw, make lots of things, am into primitive skills and hunting and trapping a little, with all possible respect for the quarry, for food. My dog wears a pack as well. And like how I found my dog by chance and can't even remember how I came to the conclusion to get him, is how I figure I'll acquire a goat by chance. My dog I got in Amarillo, Texas, after leaving a cheap motel, at a flea market near the innards of the city, for ten bucks. my dog is a great traveler and no house dog because his first days with me were spent sleeping outside and moving. A goat will fit when I learn to slow down and really walk a lot more instead of hitching- though I think I could still get rides in small country towns and in pick up trucks. anyway's glad to be on this forum and not digging the other new one so thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
Intro/story - by Wordman - 02-27-2014, 07:30 AM
RE: Intro/story - by Sanhestar - 02-27-2014, 07:45 AM
RE: Intro/story - by Charlie Horse - 02-27-2014, 08:06 AM
RE: Intro/story - by Wordman - 02-27-2014, 08:17 AM
RE: Intro/story - by Nanno - 02-27-2014, 08:46 AM
RE: Intro/story - by Jake Levi - 02-27-2014, 08:51 AM
RE: Intro/story - by Wordman - 02-27-2014, 08:38 PM
RE: Intro/story - by Wordman - 03-04-2014, 05:43 PM
RE: Intro/story - by Jake Levi - 03-05-2014, 10:59 AM
RE: Intro/story - by Wordman - 03-06-2014, 07:08 PM