'nother question. . .Nubian/Alpine
I think if you and your goat hang out all the time you can get away with just one but it's not ideal. Cuzco was raised as an "only goat" for a while and he seemed to really enjoy that life. However, one thing you can't do is play like a goat. Cuzco has a few nasty personality habits and I think it goes back to the fact that he was never able to take his playful aggressions out on anything but trees. Obviously we never let him head-butt with us, and the horses I kept him with didn't play with him that way either. I think goats need that, especially in the first 3-4 years when they are adolescents. Because he couldn't head-butt and play dominance games with other goats, he became aggressive toward people--particularly children and short people. He also became very possessive of me as his primary care-giver and will stand between me and other people, blocking them with his shoulder and growling. These problems have only gotten worse in his old age and no amount of correction or training has made much difference, so definitely consider buying a pair even if it seems like too much at once. The nice thing about two goats is that they will entertain each other when you're busy, so in some ways two is actually less work than one.

Messages In This Thread
'nother question. . .Nubian/Alpine - by Wordman - 02-10-2016, 04:10 PM
RE: 'nother question. . .Nubian/Alpine - by Nanno - 02-10-2016, 06:46 PM
RE: 'nother question. . .Nubian/Alpine - by Nanno - 02-11-2016, 08:45 AM