Goatless in Arizona
Hi from a prospective family goat packer in Arizona! I am here to do my research in hopes of being ready to bring home a couple of baby wethers in the spring 2016 kidding season. We are section-hiking the Arizona Trail and have about 300 of 800 miles done. I look forward to perusing the forums and finding out if there any any others in southern Arizona or surrounds?

Thanks in advance for any resources for the Southwest, particularly the desert southwest!

India in Tucson
Hello and welcome! I don't see any other members in Arizona, but it seems like I remember there being someone in New Mexico. I'm from southern Colorado (wrong end from Arizona though). You should stick your location on our members map!
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=864762

Good luck with your future goat hiking adventures!
Welcome home Skindy Smile
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
Welcome Smile
Added! Thanks! We've got quite a few dairy goat ranches in the area who keep Nubians and dwarf Nigerians, and one with Alpines, but I'm not having much luck connecting with any dedicated pack goat keepers. Would like to start to identify a source for whethers next spring :-)
Welcome! Tommy DiMaggio, who owns Purple Mountain Pack Goats, is/was in Tucson.
Goatberries Happen!
(05-13-2015, 09:21 PM)Skindy500 Wrote: Added! Thanks! We've got quite a few dairy goat ranches in the area who keep Nubians and dwarf Nigerians, and one with Alpines, but I'm not having much luck connecting with any dedicated pack goat keepers. Would like to start to identify a source for whethers next spring :-)

You want a source right now? I've got a couple of up-and-comings on the ground already, and we usually take a "goat vacation" in the fall. We could swing by your place and drop off a couple-a "bundles o' joy". Something to consider anyway. Wink
(05-14-2015, 08:01 AM)Taffy Wrote: Welcome! Tommy DiMaggio, who owns Purple Mountain Pack Goats, is/was in Tucson.

^ I've been trying to find him! He no longer maintains a website - it's defunct (http://www.purplemountainpackgoats.com/about.htm), and I can't seem to find any reference to PMPG more recent than 3 years ago. I'll need to see if any of my AZ Trail or dairy goat contacts know what he's up to these days and where to find him.

Thanks!

Oh, wow, maybe! Kids lke Cuzco, haha?! We're not quite ready - plan to spend the summer designing and clearing and gathering fencing and shelter materials and build it out in the fall. Ideally we'd want to hand-raise from very young, so planned to have a couple of wethers lined up to bring home ca. March 2016. Sooner would be fun, but I like to do my research and be prepared :-)
It's wise to be prepared! Smile

We sure weren't when we got Cuzco thirteen years ago! We don't regret diving in when we did, though. He's been such a good goat that he inspired Phil and I to try to breed goats like him. So far I'm pleased with the results. Big Grin
(05-13-2015, 05:46 PM)Skindy500 Wrote: Hi from a prospective family goat packer in Arizona! I am here to do my research in hopes of being ready to bring home a couple of baby wethers in the spring 2016 kidding season. We are section-hiking the Arizona Trail and have about 300 of 800 miles done. I look forward to perusing the forums and finding out if there any any others in southern Arizona or surrounds?

Thanks in advance for any resources for the Southwest, particularly the desert southwest!

India in Tucson

Hello!! I am also in AZ and am getting ready to dive into the world of packing. I have been doing my research and getting super excited for my first goats. I think we May road trip to get our first kids...but still trying to work out the details Smile