Newbie from the North East
Hey All,
New guy here from NY's Catskills. I am a back packing enthusiast new to goats and love the idea of taking my goat with me on a hike. Where do the Northeasters go goat packing? How do you know if its acceptable to take a goat with you on a specific trail? Any insight would be appreciated.
Thank you!
Welcome!

Join the North American Packgoat Assoc. It's the national organization for goatpackers. There are 6 members listed in NY state.

Here's and article I found interesting. Maybe these folks are near you. http://www.saranaclake.com/blog/2015/08/...ping-goats
Goatberries Happen!
Thanks Taffy! Great article. Ill check out the NAPGA as well.
Hello Warren
I am not in your area but have worked around the Finger Lakes area and out of Clay ,NY.
I am now in Northwestern South Carolina and like it here. I live in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Primary I am a horseman. But have had a goat or two as barn pets.
Got Interested in Pack Goats when presenting at Prepper Camp, in Saluda NC this fall. 
I was doing a Presentation on Using your horse as a Bug Out Vehicle.
Friends with goats were doing Milking and Pack goat presentation. I have packed with horses,and herded goats working for the NFS using goats for underbrush control. Friend had brought down a couple wethers to sell but they did not.
Friendly bottle raised and old enough to start some work. Some how they got loaded in my trailer with the horses I took up and came out back here in SC. Big Grin
See the "Stow away goats' story I posted a while ago here.
Right now they are just being bonded goats and brush eaters, Pete is old enough to carry a pack but $$ are preventing that. Sam is only 9 months so he has a good excuse for a while, BUT I have some horse gear, Saddle Bags,Cantle Bags,that I might just make work for him. good for a couple of bottles at least. 
I am going to try and do some promoting for pack goats in this area as there are lots of goats around and most people here only look to them as milk,meat or pets. I want to promote them as a good working animal, there are lots of good trails here for short hikes.
Feel free to drop me a line anytime or set up a chat time in the site chat room.
I am on EST time.
Happy trails
hihobaron

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks Hihobaren! I got my start with goats at pure chance. We live in a fairly rural area here in the catskills and had some friends over for a BBQ a few Septembers ago. A goat and sheep literally crashed the party, they just came out of the woods from no-where and started munching on the lawn. We don't have many neighbors and none at all who have goats or sheep. They both had tagged ears so we called around trying to see who they belonged to and no one ever claimed them. The funny thing is my wife and I had ben talking about getting a few goats weeks earlier so we just took it as a sign, got them to a vet and scrambled to set up some fencing and a pen. That was 2 years ago. They are both super friendly and we are in the process of rescuing 2 more from a local sanctuary.
Hello Warren
So how many do you have now.?
Are you keeping Sheep and Goats or did the Goats win? Smile
Just like with a good horse or dog, they have to have "Personality and trust in people" to make any animal get along with you.
Otherwise your just raising a meat animal.
Even if you just want them for barn pets you need to have them willing to be handled and friendly.
I work mine everyday even if it nothing more than follow around and eat or they will check and see if they can "Help"
Lunch break is usually spent with goats under foot and laying down eating the lunch too. (chewing their cud).
The thing is it is training for trail work, they learn to stick close.
Send some pictures.
Happy Trails
hihobaron
Well, as of  yesterday we are up to 3 goats. And a sheep, a dozen or so chickens, 3 dogs, a cat and a fish.

I just formally started working with Marv, the 2.5 yr old, Saanen mix (i think), whether about a week or so ago. I ordered a halter and lead from Northwest Packgoat and Supplies. I was surprised how well he took to it. He initially fought the halter/lead for a minute or two but I gave him a snack as soon as I put the halter on and he pretty much just follows me around. He will stop in protest every now and then but a simple "click sound" I make and snack offering and he is back in the game. I also trained him to hop up on a big stump on command so I can check him out, brush him, etc. Thinking this will come in handy when its time for hoof trimming and getting into/out of the back of the pick-up. Another few days of walking him around in the pen and then I plan take him for some walks around the property. If I let him out of the pen off- lead he makes a bee- line for the sweet feed can. I am hoping by spring I will be able to take him for walks on some public trails.

The 2 little ones just showed up yesterday, they are rescues from a local sanctuary (with a horrible back ground story). The vet seems to think they are between 3 and 6 months old. They are supper friendly and follow me every where and cry like crazy when I have to leave them. I have no idea what type of goats they are, I am assuming the black/white (Zoe) is a nubian mix, clue less as to what Zac (the all black) could be. They might even be dwarfs for all I know. It doesn't really matter to us, we were just looking for some buddies for Marv and Mable (the sheep).

Pics are below.....

.jpg   Goats2.jpg (Size: 159.41 KB / Downloads: 53)        
Those are going to be some handsome goats. I'd say the black one has got to be mostly Alpine. He's got the right horns and shape for it. In fact for his age I can see he's going to have some mighty impressive horns someday. I think you're right about the other goats' breeds. They look like happy and lucky goats indeed.
Lovely goats! I think the black and white one looks predominantly Boer, not Nubian. He's a stout little fellow! Does your black goat have blue (or bluish) eyes? Kinda looks like it in the photo. If so, that's a pretty strong indication that he's got Nigerian Dwarf or Pygmy in his background. The black goat also looks like he could use some more copper in his diet. Copper deficiency is what causes the brown tinge to his coat. I'm glad you were able to rescue them!

I love the kinked "airplane" ears on your white goat! I'd love to see more pictures of him!
Thanks Guys for all the Goat Love!

I agree  Zoe, the Black and white does have some boer traits- stocky build, floppy ears and the thicker bridge of her nose.
Zack the black one has a much more mousey nose, his face kinda comes to a sharp point from a top view. I don't really see any blue in his eyes- mostly light brown- tan. Even hazel might be a stretch. Thanks for the copper recommendation, I look into getting some supplements ASAP.

We have kept the little ones in a separate pen for the last couple of days, I borrowed a neighbors horse trailer to use as temporary shelter that I could close up at night since I don't have any buildings in the back pen. Marv and Mable ( our existing Goat and Sheep) were real curious and seemed to be pretty gentle with them yesterday when I let them mingle. But Marv won't let them anywhere near the shed where I am hoping they will all be able to live at some point. I am guessing because thats where I usually feed them and he's being protective of that.

Last night I moved the horse trailer next to the shed so they would all be close but have separate space if they needed. Testing how this would work out I went out at dusk, Marv wouldn't let the little ones into the shed- he stood guard in the doorway, I went back an hour later and the little ones where in the shed but Marv and Mable were out walking around the pen. I thought this was a good sign. Went back out in the middle of the night and the little ones where back in the trailer and Marv and Mable were in the shed. I really hope this will work out in time.

As requested here are a few more pics of Marv.... I caught him Flehmening in the first 2

.jpg   Marv1.jpg (Size: 331.53 KB / Downloads: 30)
.jpg   Marv2.jpg (Size: 319.35 KB / Downloads: 30)
.jpg   Marv3.jpg (Size: 312.27 KB / Downloads: 30)