Goat String Wanted
I'm looking to take over (not for free) someone's loyal string who wants to see them go to a good home in Idaho where they will be loved and used. I'd be interested in the equipment and supplies as well. My family and I aren't in a rush and not looking to buy problem children. My boys are small and need goats that are good around children.

I'm a life long summer back packer/elk hunter who isn't getting any younger and I'm looking to take my family in deep. For the right string I would be ready immediately but am looking to move into this lifestyle slow, steady and sure. I just wanted to put this out there hoping the right person sees this at the right time. My max string would be 4 and looking for a minimum of 2. You would be welcome to call me at 208 867 6675 or email me at Marc@gothunts.com
There is three goats and all there equipment posted on Bellingham Craig's list         r
(01-29-2015, 07:05 PM)300shortmag Wrote: There is three goats and all there equipment posted on Bellingham Craig's list r

(01-29-2015, 07:24 PM)Marc Wrote:
(01-29-2015, 07:05 PM)300shortmag Wrote: There is three goats and all there equipment posted on Bellingham Craig's list r

Thanks much sir, I'll look into them. Anyone know anything about these particular goats?
Welcome, Marc!

I don't know specifically about the goats listed on the Bellingham Craigslist; I did look at the ad & it says they are 6 years old. Opinions vary about many years you can get out of the average packer. So, while they are in their prime now, they will probably start to slow down in another 3-4 years. Their equipment, by Northwest Packgoats is excellent.

If you do have young children, you probably want to get hornless goats, just to be on the safe side. We have to be really careful with our (horned) goats when there are children around. While they have never hurt anybody, our goats have intimidated a lot of little kids & made more than one of them cry, and I am sure the horns did not help the situation. Sad

That being said, if you are not in a hurry, I think you will find the perfect goats for you. It sounds like you are in no rush so perhaps getting some young (0-3 year-old) polled wethers would give you time to start bonding with them, gathering some gear, and training them. But you might want to look at hornless goats if you want your children to feel comfortable around them--Saph
(01-31-2015, 08:58 AM)Saph Wrote: Welcome, Marc!

I don't know specifically about the goats listed on the Bellingham Craigslist; I did look at the ad & it says they are 6 years old. Opinions vary about many years you can get out of the average packer. So, while they are in their prime now, they will probably start to slow down in another 3-4 years. Their equipment, by Northwest Packgoats is excellent.

If you do have young children, you probably want to get hornless goats, just to be on the safe side. We have to be really careful with our (horned) goats when there are children around. While they have never hurt anybody, our goats have intimidated a lot of little kids & made more than one of them cry, and I am sure the horns did not help the situation. Sad

That being said, if you are not in a hurry, I think you will find the perfect goats for you. It sounds like you are in no rush so perhaps getting some young (0-3 year-old) polled wethers would give you time to start bonding with them, gathering some gear, and training them. But you might want to look at hornless goats if you want your children to feel comfortable around them--Saph

Thanks very much Saph, sounds like sage wisdom. I will take all that to heart. I am in a wait and see place on the goats out of Belligham for now. It's a long way to go to "take a look." And I must admit I'm not a fan of the no ear deal. I like my goats with ears.
Gotta chime in on the ear deal. If there was one thing I really didn't like it was those ridiculous looking la manchas. Never did like them, but my daughter found one on Craigslist and the milk was sweet so she bought her. Come to find out they can have very sweet mellow personalities that are perfect for dairy and I believe will work well for packing. I have a doe I want to try this year and a wether that is a great companion already but too young to pack yet. So don't let the ears affect your decision there can be a lot of heart in that breed.
Ive preached the good traits of the Lamanchas for a long time. As a breed whole, they give the best mix of capacity and butterfat outta all the larger dairy breeds. Best tasting as well IMO. Even with all our Alpines, our drinking milk came mostly from the Lamanchas. As for personalities, they are very much like the Alpine but more personable and maybe even sweeter. If everyone could just get past the no ears thing, I think the Lamancha would be the most populous goat.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
Very good to know, great info on that breed. I admit my shallowness, it's an ego thing. I want my goats to look cool. Can some of you chime in on the age thing. At six, how many years do you think these goats have left in them and what's important to consider as far as age goes. I have thought it would be best to have a string of differing ages so you have a new one to come in as the older ones are slowing down. In my mind, if my property can take a max of 4-5 and I need 4 packing, having them all be the same age is going to bite me in the butt in the future. Suggestions, insight, ideas?
If you plan on updating them as you go, going to need at least 2 on stand by growing and maturing as you get ready to retire the other ones.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
Marc, you are right on, about having an age spread amongst your pack goats.

Between various websites like Craigslist, Facebook, and other media, it seems like there are always healthy goats available, (many of them free or next to nothing) so I wouldn't get too hung up on not being able to find "the right goat at the right time." You just need to make sure they come from a healthy herd. As far as them being specifically "trained as packers," I wouldn't get too hung up on that either. I know of several people that have even picked up goats (including females) from dairy operations and these goats turned into excellent packers.

Bottom line--I believe with a combination of quality and quantity time spent, most (not all) goats will eventually become very bonded with their owners (this even applies to goats that are not bottle-fed). For example, we picked up a "free" goat from some neighbors last year that probably would have ended up in their freezer had we not taken pity on it. He will be 3 years old this spring & he has turned into a nice pack goat with a very sweet personality! Smile

As far as age of useful pack goats--that is a bit more difficult to categorize. I hope others will add their opinion on this. I have a neighbor that packed with his goats until they were over 10 years old. But I think that is an exception. I think they are probably similar to dogs in that they start slowing down by that age. I know a lot of people tout the advantages of giant goats (250+ lbs) because they can pack more weight. But in my experience, size does have drawbacks. I think goats are also similar to dogs, in that the bigger the goat, the shorter their life-span. Again, perhaps others have their opinions on this.

So, to repeat, I think you are correct in trying to bring younger goats into the herd as the older ones start to slow down. Plus there definitely is something in the theory that the older goats can "show the younger ones the ropes," so to speak--Saph