Cuzco's Glamour Shot o' the Day
We had quite an exciting time at the Weld County Goat Extravaganza this past weekend. Phil and I brought Cuzco the Wonder Goat and his pesky sidekick, Pac-Man. No superhero is complete without a sidekick, of course, but one must wonder if their most amazing power lies in their ability to put up with the little creeps. Tongue

Cuzco was in his element. He seems to love these shows. This is now the second one I've brought him to and once again he seemed to revel in the charged atmosphere, the crowds, the bustle, the cameras. I think I realized for the first time at this show that Cuzco is really and truly my goat. Or at least that I'm his person. As long as I was in the building he tracked me everywhere, never taking his eyes off me. If I went out one door and came in another, he'd still be watching the door I left from. He hasn't baa-aa-ed for years, but this weekend when I would return after leaving him for a while, he would let out a soft, gutteral baa-aa from deep down in his throat. He was never upset when I would leave, but he never let me out of his sight when I was around. Cuzco laid down for a nap while I was getting lunch and I didn't want to disturb him so I tiptoed past his stall. I think he caught my scent as I passed because his head popped up and he looked eagerly around. By then I was behind his head and he didn't see me so he laid back down. I must say I was deeply moved by his attachment to me. It's hard to imagine how such an ornery old goat can have such a deep affection for anyone.

Cuzco was quite congenial all weekend, but I put warning signs on his stall anyway just as a precaution. They said, "Admire me from a distance but PLEASE DON'T TOUCH! I'm old and cranky and well-armed!" Cuzco did his best to lure people over and tempt them to put their hands in his stall anyway.

Cuzco and I helped Phil with his packgoat presentation, and Cuzco wowed everyone with his repertoire of tricks. Most people didn't realize you can actually train goats to do things like shake hands and spin and bow!

Bow was a new one. I wasn't sure how easy it would be to teach Cuzco this one since he's already known "Repent!" for many years. He's always been required to go down on two knees and got no cookie for doing a half-baked one-knee bow. But this time I wanted him to go down on one knee. It only took him a week to learn it. I still have to put my foot behind his left hoof to remind him not to bend that leg back, but he did it very well to much cheering and applause.

I hitched Cuzco to his cart on Saturday and Sunday. Naturally there were people lined up and clamoring to get a ride right up to the time I hitched up, at which point everyone disappeared to either compete in or watch the massive showmanship classes that began in all three rings at once. So I seized the opportunity to take a pleasant drive around the fairgrounds myself.

Later on we gave rides to everyone from tiny babies...

to old grandmas.

We gave rides to kids...

And kids holding kids. (Yes, that is a baby goat in her arms.)

And the real feather in the cap was when the dairy goat judge asked us if we would take a photo of him in the cart. So we brought Cuzco into the ring and snapped a photo. I'm disappointed that there is so much dust in the picture, but it's still one to remember!

Saturday evening we took Cuzco and Pac-Man for a stroll around the fairgrounds. Cuzco found a party hat and enjoyed posing with it.

What a handsome fellow! Looks like he really soaked it all upSmile
Ah wish I coulda been there to see and enjoy Cuzco Smile
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
I am always re-amazed when I see your new photos and read your new posts at what an outstanding goat Cuzco is and how close the bond is between you two. I think he would do anything to please you. I love him and I've never met him!

The things you do at events like this go far to help people understand that goats are not just milk, meat and fiber animals. They have much more to give in so many ways.

Keep your photos and stories coming!
Goatberries Happen!
Smile Lilly!

That's a winning smile if ever I've seen one!
Goatberries Happen!
Happiness is...

It sure is! Very contented. Smile

(05-05-2014, 02:05 PM)Nanno Wrote: Happiness is...
Goatberries Happen!
Phil built a new campfire ring this afternoon and Lilly tested it out. It fits perfectly.

Once the fire was going Cuzco was the only goat who was interested. He loves campfires and he always hangs around by my chair, no doubt hoping for a handout, but he also gets very friendly at campfires. He's loved campfires since he was a baby and the only time he would climb in my lap was when we were next to one. I have no idea why. I had to put a stop to that after he got to be about a year old, of course, but I've always wondered why he gets so snuggly around a campfire. It must be the old "Kum-ba-ya" spirit.

Cuzco also loves listening to Phil play the fiddle. None of the other goats seem all that interested, but Cuzco never gets tired of it. Neither do I, for that matter!

Looks like Cuzco is singing along!