New from SC!
Hey guys! Just trying to find my way around your site! So excited to see this site. I am an avid backpacker and looking to find me a few weanlings to start (thinking 3). I haven't seen much of the Alpine breeds in this area nor do I know the rules and regs for our Eastern US mountains concerning pack goats. Most of my backpacking is in the Western US. I live in SC and have a horse farm. I have had a large heard of sheep in the past also, but know NOTHING about goats... Love the photos and hope to learn a bunch from you guys.
Lori, I'm moving your post here so it doesn't get lost in the "Goats relaxing" thread. Welcome to PackGoat Central! I look forward to hearing about your adventures!
Welcome!
THANKS SO MUCH!!! LOOKING FORWARD TO LEARNING A LOT FROM THIS GROUP. I DONT HAVE MY GOATS YET, BUT I'M ON THE LOOK OUT FOR SOME ALPINE BREEDS BUT PICKING SEEMS SLIM IN MY AREA. I'M AN AVID BACKPACKER WHO LIKES TO SPEND MY TIME PACKING INTO THE MOUNTAINS OR WHERE EVER. I MOSTLY ENJOY VENTURING INTO THE WINDS OR TETONS. AS I GET OLDER I AM REALIZING ONE DAY I MAY NEED SOME PACKING COMPANIONS TO HELP SHARE THE LOAD AND I KNOW IT WILL TAKE A FEW YEARS TO TRAIN AND CONDITION MY NEW BUDDIES. I HAVE A SMALL FARM IN SC WITH HORSES. I USED TO RAISE SHEEP IN THE NOT SO DISTANT PAST SO I AM FAMILIAR WITH THEM... BUT KNOW NOTHING ABOUT GOATS. LOL...
OH I JUST SAW YOU MOVED MY EARLIER POST... HAHA! I AM BEING REDUNDANT SO FORGIVE ME. JUST FINISHED UPDATING MY PROFILE AND POSTING AVATAR. BE PATIENT WITH ME AS I LEARN TO NAVIGATE THIS SITE... PLEASE Smile
No problem. I just didn't want your "introduction" post to get lost in the other thread since it was off-topic. I hope you find just the right goats to get you started with goat packing. It's a ton of fun (goats are way better hiking companions than dogs in my opinion). I also hope you can get your caps lock fixed soon. Wink
(12-30-2016, 10:13 AM)Nanno Wrote: No problem. I just didn't want your "introduction" post to get lost in the other thread since it was off-topic. I hope you find just the right goats to get you started with goat packing. It's a ton of fun (goats are way better hiking companions than dogs in my opinion). I also hope you can get your caps lock fixed soon. Wink

LOL... lol... better? Hahaha Smile
Yay! You got it fixed! Smile

It's too bad old Hihobaron isn't around any more. He lived in South Carolina and was just getting into packgoats, but sadly he died last September. He would have been so excited to find another easterner, and he probably could have helped you find some suitable goats. He had a neighbor who raises Saanens, two of which were adopted as packgoat prospects by Hihobaron. They were both very nice goats. But without Hiho around I'm not sure how I would put you in touch with that breeder.
Perhaps those very goats would be available? Hum!
Welcome Lori!