The ultimate pack goat.......in theory
(02-09-2014, 06:43 AM)Jake Levi Wrote: Ibex are considered genetically to be the ancestor of the domestic goat. And if we look at some of the Mideast goat breeds there is a very strong family resemblence. Also to a couple of the other Mideast wild goats, the Markhor and others. I suspect the reality is that in each country there is some unintentional breeding with the wild, just as in AK many sled dogs have wolf mixed in especially out in the villages, where there are any sled dogs, a large number of the sled dogs have been replaced with snow machines.

In any case, hybrid goats are going to be every bit as difficult to prove ancestry on as with hybrid dog/wolf crosses. A dog is a dog and a goat is a goat. They would have to be looking for other markers and even mitochondrial DNA. And that, on sled dogs only shows that the dam had some wolf breeding somewhere, 'back when'.

For my part, I am in MI, and expect to be, we have no wild goats or wild sheep. All bovidae must have TB tests, cattle, sheep, goats etc, no exeptions. I think it is doable, I will be on the lookout for Alpine Ibex doelings, I wouldnt want a buck, the does are more herd oriented , we shall see. Meanwhile I am on the waiting list for a pair of Kiko kids. Life goes on.

I am still looking for Ibex, does actually, bucks are all priced for future hunting trophys. There will be some exotic auctions coming up this spring, the trick is to find one in driving distance. Looking at the mature weight of the Ibex bucks a Kiko cross should produce a very nice sized wether. I really want to find out first hand.

Jake

Mikado, MI

Messages In This Thread
The ultimate pack goat.......in theory - by nebs - 01-07-2014, 08:25 PM
Snow Day! - by Saph - 01-08-2014, 11:13 AM
RE: The ultimate pack goat.......in theory - by Jake Levi - 02-23-2014, 08:13 AM