Hello from San Jose, CA

.jpg   amy_profile.jpg (Size: 55.93 KB / Downloads: 44)
Hi, all;

I wasn't part of the forum at its previous location. Glad I found it now!

The closest I've come to goat packing is that I used to walk my Boer and grade Nubian does in the woods with my dogs when I lived in Mississippi. I now have a 3-year-old BoerxNubian from my Boer doe who I'd like to start packing with. I was excited to move to San Jose, because I think it's more friendly to this type of thing than the South.

Gidge is kind of skittish because I moved to Atlanta when he was about 4 months old and he wasn't socialized as well as he would have been if I'd been there, so I'd love to have tips on how to make sure he's safe since he weighs twice as much as I do. The above pic was about 6 months after we were reunited, and you can see he's mad at me because I'd been treating him for an ear infection. He'd never willingly hurt me, but when I was first training him to tie, he broke the snaps on the lead I was using (double-ended snapped to an eye bolt).

I think if I put him on a coupler like you'd use for dogs with his mother that may help, but he has a 1-month-old half-brother who is still on her so that might not work at least for a while and leaves the problem of what to do with my grade Nubian, because she won't want to be alone. I am thinking to start him carrying the garbage and recyclables down our driveway to the cans, which is about a half a mile round-trip with a medium grade.

I also am not sure how to identify parks and trails that welcome goats, so any help there would be appreciated.

Messages In This Thread
Hello from San Jose, CA - by AmyB - 01-04-2014, 10:45 PM
RE: Hello from San Jose, CA - by Huckleberry - 01-05-2014, 08:46 AM
RE: Hello from San Jose, CA - by Nanno - 01-05-2014, 09:35 AM
RE: Hello from San Jose, CA - by AmyB - 01-05-2014, 01:09 PM
RE: Hello from San Jose, CA - by Nanno - 01-05-2014, 02:33 PM
RE: Hello from San Jose, CA - by AmyB - 01-05-2014, 02:51 PM