Hello
Hi everybody,

My name is Tony and my family and I have been looking at getting into packgoats for a while now. We have zero experience with goats, or any farm animals for that matter, and I'm sure I will have many questions. I have been reading alot on this forum and watching Marc Warnke videos which has made me very excited and motivated to get started on this journey.

A little about me and why we are now starting on this journey. We are avid hikers, backpackers, and hunters (me and soon my daughter) and we love the outdoors. About 10 years ago, I went through a nasty spinal cancer situation and had a significant portion of it removed and have a bit of hardware keeping me upright LOL. Luckily I still am able to get out and hike but as I get older and with this condition, I am not able to carry alot of weight especially if I want to go into the backcountry. It has been a few years since I have really been more than 2-3 miles from the trailhead. I am not interested in giving up hiking and backpacking and have found this wonderful option utilizing goats. I also am a hunter and with my back, have not been able to really hunt more than a mile from the truck and if successful, it is very difficult to retrieve my game. 

So, with that being said, I have a million questions but will try and research before I ask any.

The couple of questions I have right now are:

• When looking to purchase bottle babies do they have to be from a specific breeder (packgoat) or is it ok to purchase them from folks who just raise goats for other reasons? There are a couple adds I have found near me that have Alpines and Obers for sale at $150.00-200.00 each. Is this a good option?
  • When looking at goats, what questions should I ask the breeder to ensure I get a good packgoat prospect?
  • What should I look out for or ask about health issues?
  • Can I get a couple babies from one person and grown goats from another and will they coexist ok?
  • What size enclosure and also shelter for around 5 goats?

My plan is to get a couple bottle fed babies and hopefully 1-2 experienced packgoats to begin with so I can get back out in the woods as soon as possible, not waiting 3-5 years (I wish I found this years ago). 

Also, I live in Snohomish County, WA so if anyone has any leads on some goats or if anyone is close by, I'd love to hear from you and would be very appreciated. From my research, I really like the Alpine breed and also Obers. 

Thank you,
Tony

Messages In This Thread
Hello - by TonyM - 03-10-2022, 12:36 PM
RE: Hello - by Nanno - 03-11-2022, 08:08 AM
RE: Hello - by TonyM - 03-12-2022, 12:08 AM
RE: Hello - by Nanno - 03-12-2022, 07:24 AM