2nd 2021 NAPgA Rendezvous in Slim Buttes, SD!
The Slim Buttes Rendy turned out a bit slimmer than anticipated. Several "I'll be there!"s changed plans at the last minute. However, the group we had was incredible and I for one had a really fun time! Sometimes the smaller the crowd the better it is because you can spend more time getting to know the people you're with. Finn Sacrison was planning to give us a spiel about his Wounded Warriors project, but unfortunately his time was extremely limited and a little up-in-the-air. He ended up coming not long after most of us had departed for our Saturday hike around the Buttes. However, Dwite Sharp remained in camp and he and Finn had a nice time visiting for an hour or two.

Robert and Connie Losee drove all the way up from Texas to spend the weekend! They came out a day early and scoped the place out for us. The campground is gorgeous and nicely spaced out among trees. They found a nice shady spot well away from the entrance and waited for the rest of us to show up on Friday. Dwite came next, followed by Dean Kroon and his wife Dani. Dani had never been to any packgoat gatherings before, but because this one was so much closer to Minnesota than the others she was able to get away. We were so happy for her to join us! Phil and I were the last to arrive. We picked out a nice spot in the middle of everyone else and set up camp. 

It was a very cold day, but there was no rain so Phil and I decided to take our boys and make a brief afternoon exploration of the Buttes. Dean and Dani had already done some hiking and were ready to settle in, but Connie and Robert were up for a jaunt so they joined Phil and I with their two goats, Blackie and Butterscotch. 

The late afternoon sun glowed off the unique formations. We stopped at the first overlook to take in the beautiful white and yellow-striped rock.  

We marched on into the valley. 

I love Butterscotch's beautiful Kiko horns! Butterscotch was a bit lame because Blackie hit him in the shoulder the day before, but he was a trooper and kept up the pace.  

I loved the way the late afternoon light shone on the white rock faces of the Buttes.

We hiked for maybe a mile and a half and it was time to head back. 

Scout is starting to behave like Finn and climb along cliff edges. He needs to watch out because not only am I not sure he's quite as sure-footed or athletic as Finn, but he's also low man on the goatem pole. If Scout goes too close to an edge someone might think it's funny to push him over, or if there's a dispute over a narrow ledge he's going to lose. Finn doesn't have that particular problem to deal with when he tiptoes along clifftops!  

We stopped once more at the overlook so Phil could pose, and then it was time to head back to camp.

Around dusk everyone gathered at me and Phil's campsite, which was centrally located and had a nice open area around it. Sadly there was a fire ban and the night was quite chilly so it wasn't as cozy a gathering as we might have hoped, but the company was good and we had a lot of laughs and swapped a few yarns before we all shivered off to our beds. Phil and I decided to take a brief walk up to a lookout point above camp so we could warm ourselves with some exercise and enjoy the stars which were absolutely brilliant. We couldn't wait to explore for real in the morning!

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2nd 2021 NAPgA Rendezvous in Slim Buttes, SD! - by Nanno - 10-01-2021, 05:23 PM