Quick weight question for an upcoming trip
Ah... just found my measurements from when I was fitting my boys for a custom harness order. This would have been December/January 2015/16 so I know my goats were almost exactly 18 months old at that time.

Finn:
Height: 32" at withers
Girth: 39" (Translates to around 165# on the weight tape)
Shoulder to tail: 31"
Back (saddle seat to hip bones): 16"

Sputnik:
Height: 32" at withers
Girth: 38" (Translates to around 150-155#)
Shoulder to tail: 32"
Back: 16"

It's funny, but looking at these measurements, Finn looked significantly larger than Sputnik at that stage. The were the same height according to the measuring stick, but Finn looked taller because he was clearly bulkier and weighed measurably 10 lbs. more. But Sputnik was an inch longer from shoulder to tail than Finn was at this stage, and it was a hint of things to come.

In six months Sputnik surpassed Finn in height, length, and width but not by much. They looked almost the same size when we started driving them as a pair in June 2016 at two-year-olds. But one year later Sputnik was towering over Finn. Sputnik is much longer and bulkier than Finn too. Finn probably weighs around 195-200#. Sputnik has to be somewhere in the vicinity of 220#. He's too big for my weight tape. We had him weighed at CSU a year ago and he was 210# at the time. He's grown since then. However, Finn has much stronger conformation and would probably out-carry and outlast Sputnik on a hike. If I were to load one goat heavier, it would be Finn.

Not sure if that's much help to you, but I thought it was interesting that I did have exact weights and measurements from my boys at 18 months, and that they grew out much differently than I expected. Finn looked like a linebacker his first year and Sputnik was a runty little thing tagging along in Finn's shadow until they turned two. Now they look just the opposite even though Finn is still the stronger, more athletic goat.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Quick weight question for an upcoming trip - by Nanno - 04-15-2018, 09:38 AM