KIKO's..."Texas Long Horn of Goats"
(04-24-2014, 01:13 PM)nebs Wrote: I wonder what shape the horns would be on a kiko/alpine cross? I have wondered how that cross would turn out, but am not sure.

They look like this...

Kiko/Alpine cross buckling

...and cost $500. If he was hornless & in the $250 range I think I would give him a try.

(04-24-2014, 07:32 AM)Nanno Wrote: Looks like the span is a bit over 40" total from horn tip to horn tip. Over 40" per side would be about 7 feet across! Still, not something I'd want to deal with on a knife-edge trail or one with a lot of close trees/boulders on either side. There's no way a goat with a large horn span would be able to navigate some of those narrow Utah slot canyons. They sure are beautiful though!

Hey Nanno,

I went back & reviewed the video a bit closer. I think I would agree they are not 40" per side...I'm not sure what the 40" remark was referring to. I just measured what I think are my average size width hands, they are about 4" wide knuckle to knuckle. Based on that, I froze the video & extrapolated from there. I estimate them with an average length of 26"-28" each. That makes more sense as I have seen goats with 26"-28" long scimitar type horns.

All I know is that 52"-56" spread or more is WAY to WIDE for some of the trails I go on. That wide might even get caught in some of the slot canyons down south. Big Grin

I definitely think they are very interesting & think a hybrid would be cool (I'd love to see them crossed with a big Ober) but they would have to be disbudded for me.

Take care!

Ken

Also...here is a 3 year old Buck...not nearly so wide at all but who knows at 5-7 years.

3 yr old Kiko proven buck.

Sure is pretty, if you look at some of the other post of this author he has some Kiko Alpine crossed kids.

Messages In This Thread
KIKO's..."Texas Long Horn of Goats" - by TOU - 04-24-2014, 12:06 AM
RE: KIKO's..."Texas Long Horn of Goats" - by nebs - 04-24-2014, 01:13 PM
RE: KIKO's..."Texas Long Horn of Goats" - by TOU - 04-24-2014, 01:45 PM
RE: KIKO's..."Texas Long Horn of Goats" - by nebs - 11-25-2014, 07:26 AM