New boy
Mostly cause he was a single. But that was Gabes only single kid ever. She rotates between triples and quads. So I would guess with just the one, she pored everything into him. And what I have seen over the years is birth weight doesnt really factor into the adult size of a kid. Ive seen smaller babies at birth turn into power houses while anticipated kids just never took off like they shoulda. You need the genetics to get there thats for sure but I find its mainly chance and the groceries. If you give a kid/yearling/2 year old everything it needs to grow and its not battling parasites, it should grow as well as it can. I would exclude runts from this for the most part. But in the end you just roll the dice and see what you get. Its like this year is kinda a perfect storm for us. We sold 10 milkers to a new micro dairy at the start of the kidding season and have had to buy milk replacer to help feed kids. Then add to that a much less quality alfalfa then we are used to (does producing less then normal as a result) and this years kids are on a slower pace then normal. But now that they are old enough to be eating grower and a good quality alfalfa, they will leap forward and catch up nicely.

Its like with the Gabe line, we are fortunate to see that size carry over pretty consistently. Some you can tell right away but others like Legions mama, need 2 or 3 years to grow into their long body/legs and fill out. Typically a kid will take more after its grand parents.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)

Messages In This Thread
New boy - by ledel - 04-15-2014, 09:57 PM
RE: New boy - by Nanno - 04-16-2014, 07:46 AM
RE: New boy - by Taffy - 04-16-2014, 09:24 AM
RE: New boy - by ledel - 04-16-2014, 10:49 AM
RE: New boy - by TOU - 04-18-2014, 08:49 PM
RE: New boy - by Dave-Trinity-Farms - 04-18-2014, 11:16 PM
RE: New boy - by TOU - 04-19-2014, 06:56 AM
RE: New boy - by Dave-Trinity-Farms - 04-19-2014, 11:11 AM