Hello from a newb in MT.
(09-04-2016, 07:04 AM)Charlie Horse Wrote: Hehe your goat looks a lot like my goat, Woodstock.  Welcome to the board.

I wonder-- How comfortable are you hiking with goats in Montana, what with the predators?  Do  you think they'd leave you alone for the most part?

Thanks, Charlie Horse.  

I mostly hike on the ranch, I'm always armed, & sometimes carry bear spray if I'm going into the timber.  Also, I usually have at least 1 dog, usually 3 or 4 dogs on the hike as well as the goats.  They all have bells on their collars, & stay pretty close to me.  One of the dogs is a young Pyranees cross pup that I basically have raised with the goats since I got her at 10 weeks old, & she really is bonded to the goats.  She stays close to them when they're out browsing, & I think she'll be a really good guardian when she's full grown. 

I've only encountered a bear while exploring with the goats here, & luckily, it was about 1/3 mile away from us, & hadn't seen/smelled/heard us, so I headed in another direction around him to get back home.     

I'm told that there are mountain lions, wolves, bobcats, etc. here in this area, but luckily, haven't run into any yet.   Coyotes are everywhere, & if they're close to the goats (or calves, chickens, etc...) they are dispatched.    Haven't had any try anything while I was with the goats walking,  & until my guard dog is older & able to handle trouble, I keep them locked up in the barn at night.  

These 2 grew up together & are very, very close....& adorable.  They're both around 6 months old now.

Messages In This Thread
Hello from a newb in MT. - by MosesBrowning - 09-03-2016, 11:42 AM
RE: Hello from a newb in MT. - by Nanno - 09-03-2016, 10:45 PM
RE: Hello from a newb in MT. - by MosesBrowning - 09-05-2016, 11:45 AM
RE: Hello from a newb in MT. - by Charlie Horse - 09-04-2016, 07:04 AM
RE: Hello from a newb in MT. - by MosesBrowning - 09-05-2016, 11:42 AM
RE: Hello from a newb in MT. - by hihobaron - 09-05-2016, 06:46 PM
RE: Hello from a newb in MT. - by MosesBrowning - 09-05-2016, 08:22 PM
RE: Hello from a newb in MT. - by hihobaron - 09-06-2016, 04:43 AM