San Rafael Swell & Goblin Valley in Utah
Just past the narrows you're out of the canyon and the reef. I've never been to Wildhorse Window, but I have wanted to visit it. Last time I attempted to find it, I was looking for an obvious trail and failed. This time I just looked at a map of the reef and decided on a good spot to head up onto the upper surface of the reef to cross-country it. Here you can see us planning.

[Image: 060_reef_planning_01.jpg]

No wonder I never found a trail... the reef is just solid stone dunes. We found a few of those stacked rock cairns that helped, but they disappeared further up.

[Image: 065_reef_no_trail_01.jpg]

Its not really as hard of a hike as it looks. It was my first time on top of the reef and I have to say it was amazing.

[Image: 070_reef_stone_hills_01.jpg]

The wind started picking up and some rainy looking clouds passed over. The shade was nice though. My hat nearly blew off a few times.

[Image: 075_reef_windy_01.jpg]

My turn to carry Saskya. We shall not discuss what happened to the back side of my North American Pack Goat Assn. T-shirt!

[Image: 080_reef_papoose_01.jpg]

We started finding a lot of amazing, deep and cool pools hidden way up on the reef surrounded by rather mature trees and lots of vegetation.

[Image: 085_reef_pool_01.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: San Rafael Swell & Goblin Valley in Utah - by Charlie Horse - 10-07-2015, 07:23 PM