San Rafael Swell & Goblin Valley in Utah
Finally got my FTP service fixed so I can post pictures again.  So here's my belated write-up:

[Image: 010_chute_jagged_01.jpg]

Its an easy but long-ish drive from Salt Lake to the bottom side of the San Rafael Swell, where you'll find the slot canyons, goblin valley, and generally what is called the 'reef' which is up upwelling of rock, pushed up by an ancient and deeply buried salt dome. (See below)

[Image: cut_away_01.jpg]

Once we met Phil and Nano, we all headed out on the dirt road, about 4 miles to Wildhorse Canyon.  We had to carefully get the horse trailers down the wash, closer to the canyon walls, but it worked out and we ended up with THE supreme camp spot right under some epic cliffs, and some giant slabs that will someday fall down and cover the camp site.  We set up some tents and such, and left the trailers to drive to Chute Canyon for a short hike of 5 miles.  

Here is a picture that gives a sense of the height of the cliffs in Chute Canyon:

[Image: 012_chute_cheese_01.jpg]

Here are Phil and Nano's goats:  Finn, Cusco, Sputnik, and Pack Man

[Image: 015_chute_emerge_01.jpg]\

Some may remember the little Lamancha in Northern Utah that needed a home, and I ended up rescuing.  I wasnt sure I wanted another, but this guy (Vincent VanGoat) has really turned out to be fantastic.  He sticks right with you, he doesnt get into trouble, and he loves people.  This was his first big night out camping and he did great!

[Image: 020_wild_vincent_01.jpg]

We got back to camp at dusk and had some of Taffy's home cooking.  She also made the pumpkin seed chocolate chip cookies she had discovered at a previous pack-goat gathering and I have to say, they were an excellent way for me to kick off breaking my diet.  I could go on about them-- the giant salt flakes on the top, the choco... Lets just say Taffy was awesome and provided a great meal.  I donated a loaf of white-chocolate with walnut bread (I know a good bakery-- I dont really cook much.  I eat mostly Bachelor Chow) and it went over well.  I heard Cusco got the last end piece.  The only other campers we encountered way back at the road started lighting large-scale fireworks which were spectacular lighting up the cliffs and echoing like they did.  It was a perfect, almost too warm evening.

The next morning, Friday, we had breakfast and headed down Wildhorse Canyon.  Taffy stayed behind due to her knee acting up, but she still went some of the way down the canyon and saw some of the more awesome formations.  Today's hike was 11 miles total.

Here's Woodstock, a half Alpine, half Boer that Sarah picked up at Rendy in '13 at the auction.  He's a fantastic pack goat with lots of can-do and is as easy going as his name.  His main problem is that he's got the perfect camouflage in the desert!  If it werent for his packs I doubt I could have seen him.

[Image: 022_wild_woodstock_01.jpg]

Larry and Cusco hanging out in what I call the Rock Garden...  

[Image: 025_wild_larry_cusco_01.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: San Rafael Swell & Goblin Valley in Utah - by Charlie Horse - 10-07-2015, 07:03 PM