Decent Mineral Mix 16/8 (2:1 ratio)
I've been doing a lot of research into minerals lately. Cuzco's skin recently started flaking badly and his hair began falling out so rapidly I thought he would go bald! I wasn't sure what to attribute it to, but he was also losing weight so I began feeding him alfalfa pellets with his morning grain again. Usually I only feed those in winter, but I think his teeth have gotten so bad that he can't even chew green grass effectively any more. Two weeks later his coat is coming in black and shiny again, and I think it's the calcium. As I was researching, I read that calcium is vital to absorbing minerals. He also gets a daily dose of Cosequin, which contains glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate and MSM (methylsulfonylmethane). Too much sulfur inhibits copper and selenium absorption. So much for me worrying about selenium overdose! Turns out he's probably not absorbing enough!

A lot of the other goats recently started to get an orange tinge to their coats and I wonder if it could be related to the sulfur block I put out for the horses. In a selenium-rich pasture (as evidenced by the massive amount of gumweed we have this year!), I feel safer with the horses having access to sulfur, but it looks it may be keeping my goats from absorbing enough copper since they have access to that block too. Of course, there may not be enough sulfur in that block to do anything at all, especially since they generally don't seem to favor it that much. But anyway, after seeing the shine return to Cuzco's coat, I think I may start giving all of the goats alfalfa pellets in the morning and see if the extra calcium helps them make better use of their minerals again. Finding the right balance is tricky stuff!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Decent Mineral Mix 16/8 (2:1 ratio) - by Nanno - 06-12-2015, 08:59 PM