Decent Mineral Mix 16/8 (2:1 ratio)
I got the small 15 lb. tub just to try. It cost $15. The 50 lb. bag cost $33.

I just spoke to a nutritionist at Ranch-Way this morning and they will do a custom mix, but the minimum order is one ton. I called Sweeny Feeds in Pueblo to see if they've had any other interest in a selenium-reduced mineral mix, but they said they haven't heard anything. I called CSU about getting blood tests done and it's $26/goat to test for selenium only (yikes!). It's more if I want to test for other mineral levels too.

The frustrating thing is that borderline selenium toxicity looks a darned lot like copper deficiency--dull, faded, and/or thinning hair. Most of my goats' coats look pretty good. Delilah and Nubbin are the only really rough ones right now. But I notice that Finn is never quite as true black on his hindquarters as I know he should be. There's a nagging reddish-brown tone to it, particularly around the edges, that I wish I could get rid of because I know it's not supposed to be there. Cuzco usually has flaky skin these days, and his hair nearly always thins out to an embarrassing degree during the month of June. I wonder if it's from the many years of having a selenium-high diet, and the new plant growth tips him over the edge every spring. It usually resolves itself by mid-July when his hair grows back and his coat gets shiny and sleek again. I almost wonder if I could safely feed minerals all year (no special mixes), but pull them completely in April/May.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Decent Mineral Mix 16/8 (2:1 ratio) - by Nanno - 05-21-2015, 09:40 AM