Crossing State Lines and CVI's
SO I am just learning about how to transport goats from one state to another and I'm wondering what the process is. What are the regs concerning scrapie (I read about some federal regs but it didn't say what to do or whats required)? How expensive are CVI's?

Thanks for any clarity, this is all so confusing!
If you are going to be doing it all legal you will need a scrapies premises ID but you dont have to do ear tags. You can do tattoos. We get around this but they dont really like it by having a registered herd name through the American Dairy Goat Assoc.

Each state is a little different in what they want you to have in terms of health certificates. For example, Oregon wants you to have not only a health certificate but a permit as well. The crappy thing there is the permit is only good for 15 days while certificates are good for 30 days. You can only get a health certificate from a vet who comes out to your house and looks over your goats. For the most part its just a visual inspection. But I have heard there are a few states that want blood tests but cant confirm that. In any event, your vet will know the numbers to call to figure out what a state needs. So your first step is to get your scrapies ID / contact a livestock vet. A pet vet will rob you blind and most likely wont know what to do anyways.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
(02-20-2015, 05:49 PM)Dave-Trinity-Farms Wrote: If you are going to be doing it all legal you will need a scrapies premises ID but you dont have to do ear tags. You can do tattoos. We get around this but they dont really like it by having a registered herd name through the American Dairy Goat Assoc.

Each state is a little different in what they want you to have in terms of health certificates. For example, Oregon wants you to have not only a health certificate but a permit as well. The crappy thing there is the permit is only good for 15 days while certificates are good for 30 days. You can only get a health certificate from a vet who comes out to your house and looks over your goats. For the most part its just a visual inspection. But I have heard there are a few states that want blood tests but cant confirm that. In any event, your vet will know the numbers to call to figure out what a state needs. So your first step is to get your scrapies ID / contact a livestock vet. A pet vet will rob you blind and most likely wont know what to do anyways.

so the best way too find out is too call the local big animal vet? do you need permits for every state you cross into? also what's the deal with bighorn sheep and goats? can you still pack with goats in bighorn country? thanks for any info. that can be provided,
Matt
You dont need a permit for the states you pass through. Just one that states starting address and ending address if there is one. As for goats and bighorns, the snowball is already rolling down hill. But as long a there is no closure where you are going, its still ok.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
Kelpy, Get on the North American Packgoat Association Website. Go to the "issues" tab, information regarding the bighorn sheep and packgoats is on there. In addition search this forum.