Skinny Goat Diet?
Thanks for the good advice everyone. To clarify a couple of questions that I was asked:

1. Yes, he was blood-tested positive for CAE. I am lucky to live just a few miles from the Washington State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital, which is where I took him to for treatment. They drew blood and took it to the Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory (WADDL) which is located in the next building over.

2. I was told by the vet that since he was an adult the chance of him spreading CAE to my other goats was almost nil, and it would be safe to pen them together.

3. I have been giving him alfalfa pellets since I live in an area where it's hard to get high-quality alfalfa in bales. There also seems to be less waste when feediing pellets.

4. I have provided him (and my other goats) with a mineral block as, again, there seems to be less waste than with loose minerals.

5. A goat coat to help keep him warm thru the winter is a good suggestion, but I'm afraid that Nano might be right about just putting him down rather than have him continue to suffer. If he's not going to get better - or even stay the same - it would be cruel to put him thru the hardships of a long, cold winter.

Thanks everyone,
Ken

Messages In This Thread
Skinny Goat Diet? - by Bwana Ken - 08-20-2014, 02:22 PM
RE: Skinny Goat Diet? - by Dave-Trinity-Farms - 08-20-2014, 06:42 PM
RE: Skinny Goat Diet? - by Nanno - 08-21-2014, 10:49 AM
RE: Skinny Goat Diet? - by Sanhestar - 08-22-2014, 04:18 AM
RE: Skinny Goat Diet? - by Bwana Ken - 08-24-2014, 02:26 PM
RE: Skinny Goat Diet? - by Nanno - 08-24-2014, 08:54 PM
RE: Skinny Goat Diet? - by Dave-Trinity-Farms - 08-25-2014, 07:48 AM
RE: Skinny Goat Diet? - by Bwana Ken - 09-11-2014, 10:57 AM