Alpine/ Valais Blackneck Bucklings
We just finished our kidding season and have 3 50% Alpine and 50% Blackneck bucklings available for new homes. 
A little about Valais Blacknecks since they are an unknown breed here in the US and what makes them suited to being good packgoats: they are a large sized breed and stocky. Originally a dual purpose breed, they are quite a bit more muscular than the Alpine or other Swiss dairy goats. They have thick hind legs for climbing the mountains of Switzerland and due to being developed in the high alps, they are surefooted and thrifty eaters. We have found their favorite activity is scaling high rocky mountain sides. They are a feisty group, but less likely to test fences than our Alpines. They are extremely agile and love to play on our dirt cliff edges.
While we are currently up-breeding our stock, we will absolutely be producing more of the 50/50 alpine Blackneck kids in the future, since we think they’ll make excellent pack goats.
We’re located in North East New Mexico. If anyone has any questions about the breed or these boys, please feel free to ask.

They're adorable! I'm in southeast Colorado so we're not that far apart. I'd love to come down and see your Blackneck goats sometime. I need another goat like I need a hole in the head, but it's always fun to look and to learn about new breeds. I love the look of the long hair out in the pasture, but I'm wondering how you would deal with it in packgoats, especially since so much of packing is done in the hot summer months. When you cross them with Alpines, does the shorter Alpine hair tend to win out, or do you get a mix of some long-haired and some short-haired kids? It looks like Blacknecks are a tri-purpose breed: Milk, meat, and fiber. It certainly is a striking breed!
(03-07-2024, 07:13 AM)Nanno Wrote: They're adorable! I'm in southeast Colorado so we're not that far apart. I'd love to come down and see your Blackneck goats sometime. I need another goat like I need a hole in the head, but it's always fun to look and to learn about new breeds. I love the look of the long hair out in the pasture, but I'm wondering how you would deal with it in packgoats, especially since so much of packing is done in the hot summer months. When you cross them with Alpines, does the shorter Alpine hair tend to win out, or do you get a mix of some long-haired and some short-haired kids? It looks like Blacknecks are a tri-purpose breed: Milk, meat, and fiber. It certainly is a striking breed!

You’re more than welcome to come check them out! As for the long hair issue, they can be trimmed and it generally only needs to be done once a year / year and half since they’re not a true ‘fiber’ breed(like  Angora) and it takes awhile for the hair to grow back. The kids have come out with a variety of coat lengths. The tan buckling will most likely be a shorter coat with long chaps, the black and white bucklings are likely to have a more traditional long coat. We find it takes around 2-3 years for their full cost to come in.
As for packing with the long hair, I know of several people in Switzerland that have taken up packing with the Blacknecks and it doesn’t seem to be a problem, even with the saddles.

I imagine the long hair would be a bonus in a cold country like Switzerland. I'm thinking more of the type climate we have out here in western USA where lots of it is desert and sub-desert climate, even in the mountains. My boys can get pretty hot when we hike in Utah especially. It's one reason I'm sticking with Nubian crosses. The Nubian breed tolerates heat much better than the Swiss breeds. Nubians have really short, sleek coats compared to Swiss goats and their large ears radiate a lot of heat as well. Nubian/Swiss crosses tend to hit that sweet spot where they tolerate heat and cold pretty well.

But yes, a long-haired goat could certainly be shaved down. I'm surprised the Blacknecks aren't considered a fiber breed. Their hair looks so long and luxurious! What a cool-looking breed!