Transporting through state lines
So, I’m finally at a point where I can take my packers on my out of state hunts. I have never taken them out of California and I was wondering if someone can let me know what their experience has been.

The destination this year is Colorado. I will pretty much be on hwy 50 all the way through and not making any stop’s except to rest the boys. Do I need to stop by or am I required to stop at all points of entry for each state and have my boys inspected?

I am sure a vet visit is in order as well. Also my boys don’t have ear tags and are not microchipped. Has anyone microchipped an adult goat before?

Thanks for any feedback
Transporting goats across state lines require a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI), and your goats will need some form of permanent ID, whether it is ear tags, tattoos, or microchips. I believe you will need to get a USDA premises ID number in order to get tags or microchips. I know some folks microchip adult goats. I've personally tagged and tattooed adult goats but I haven't yet tried microchips. It should be easier than tattooing. Make sure your goats weren't given microchips or tattoos by the breeder you bought them from. If the breeder did that job then you don't need to repeat it. You just need to record the ID's. If your goats don't have a permanent ID, then call your California state vet and have them talk you through the process of getting it done. Once your goats have their permanent ID's then you can call your personal vet and get a CVI. They are usually pretty cheap and they last 30 days. You will need to provide your vet with your goats' permanent ID #'s, their age, sex, and breed. You will also need to have a destination address. If you're going camping, you can generally just provide the address of the closest NF/BLM camping area or of the ranger station that oversees that area.

When you're traveling you don't need to stop at any ports of entry. Those are for commercial truckers hauling commercial livestock. I have never had to show my CVI to anyone, but it's better safe than sorry. I figure the one time I don't have a CVI will be the one time I get pulled over by some Barney Fife. Good luck!
Awesome thank you for the information! That’s a big help!

My boys were never microchipped. I’ll report back and let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks