Feedback on a Pack Saddle Prototype
It looks like you built a very nice packsaddle! I can see that the straps are too long, but that's not a serious problem. Much better to have them too long than too short because you can always cut some off!

I think your girth will be in a better spot if you slid the saddle back a bit. It looks like it's too far forward and resting on her shoulder blades. You want to make sure the saddle is sitting behind the tops of the shoulder blades. You can easily find them if you feel on either side of the withers while the goat is walking.

I understand the concern about the breastcollar, which is sitting rather high and at a sharp angle. One idea that I've seen is to attach the breast strap to the rigging (that's the ring that the girth attaches to) instead of to the saddle tree. I don't think you need to worry too much about the britchin strap. Almost all of them are a little awkward and tend to slide down more than I like.

Other than that it looks nice! One thing I can't see from the photos is whether the bottom edges of your saddle are beveled. Make sure they are beveled. Otherwise the edge will dig into your goat's ribs and shoulders as he walks. The front edge is especially important.

I wrote an article on saddle placement and fit a few years ago. You might find it informative:
https://www.goatorama.com/wp-content/upl...itting.pdf

Good luck and let us know how this project progresses! Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: Feedback on a Pack Saddle Prototype - by Nanno - 12-06-2022, 03:13 PM