Help: Possible Anemic/Worm Problem with 5.5 year old Alpine
If it's some kind of nerve damage or leftover neurological symptom (which it sounds like), it will take a much longer time to heal than if it were tissue or bone damage. I don't know if there are any specific exercises that will help, but I think it's a good idea to stretch and move the leg every day like you're doing. You want the tissues to be in good shape when the nerves are ready. Does he put any weight on the leg at all? If not, you could certainly try splinting and see if it encourages him to use his leg. But if this is neurological it probably won't help and he'll just keep dragging it with the splint. Nevertheless, give it a try. I'm not an expert and it's possible there is a disconnect somewhere between the shoulder and foot that makes his leg collapse when he uses it, which would scare him into not using it. A splint could bridge that disconnect and encourage him to put weight on it. What you don't want, though, is for a splint to encourage muscle atrophy in the leg. If he's using the leg somewhat without a splint, my instinct would be to leave the splint off or only splint it for a day or two at a time. I think the more he moves that leg, the better chance for the neuron pathways to heal and rebuild.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Help: Possible Anemic/Worm Problem with 5.5 year old Alpine - by Nanno - 01-10-2023, 09:28 AM