When to Band
I am having a bit of a dilemma. I got 2 nubian bucklings and plan on turning 1 to a wether. I dont know which one i plan on castrating. What is max age of getting your bucks weathered. I wanted to wait a little before making the decision on who gets the knife.

Next question is whats more desirable to breed physical characteristics or mental ability and personality? If i wether one i lose those genetics forever. My dilemma is basically if i keep the favored goat intact i would have his genetics to carry on but the remaining wethered goat may be a less then desirable goat for packing. At this point since im so new to this sport i was thinking just whether both of them and rent/borrow a buck to breed with my alpine/ober doeling.
Welcome to Packgoat Central! I apologize for the delay in approving your posts. I've been out of town and my access to internet has been very limited.

Very good questions! There is no maximum age for wethering bucks. I've wethered bucks as old as four years using a ratchet style bander. The downside is that any unpleasant buckish behavior will become more and more ingrained as they age and they may continue to "rut" and spray urine and act more aggressive in the fall and winter months. The strong smell, however, will go away at any age.

Physical characteristics and personality are both equally important in a packgoat. However, I think there is better chance of consistently passing on physical characteristics than personality. Personality can be molded quite a bit during early bonding and training. A goat that is handled consistently and taken on hikes as a kid will usually have a nicer, more willing attitude than one that is left as a pasture potato until he is two years old.

That said, as you are a newbie to goat ownership, I very strongly recommend taking the last option: wether them both and rent or borrow a buck. Bucks are a handful to keep, to fence, to handle, to train, etc. Even a well-behaved buck is not usually a good introduction to his species. Once you are well versed in goat language, habits, management, training, etc. you may decide you are ready to handle a buck. At that point you'll be making an informed decision and you'll be armed with knowledge that can help both you and your buck avoid a lot of beginner pitfalls that can wind up hurting one of you.

Best of luck to you!