Got a new goat hauler
I should post this under What did you do today but it will work here too. LOL

When I picked up the trailer last night, I gave it a really good look over to see if anything had changed since I saw it last year. But I only gave the tires a quick look. They were up, they were not checked, they looked healthy, so that was the end of that. I had forgotten to bring my 4 flat to 6 round converter for the lights, so I just figured I would use hand signals to get home.

The owners (who were a bit "odd" to say the least) kept trying to convince me that the reason the plate was not on the trailer (it was actually up in the manger of the trailer) and the tags were not current is because it is not required in Oregon due to the trailer's size. Well I have lived in Oregon all of my 52 years and I have never met a horse trailer that did not need tags. Granted I have two cargo trailers and a quad hauler that does not need that. But my other two horse trailers do. So I told myself I was going to take that thing into the DMV, when I took the title in to be put into my name, and I was going to ask them about it.

And so the adventure begins...

I hitched it back up this afternoon and went to plug the lights in and the light wire was about 18 inches too short. "Oh well, thats OK" I said to myself "I pass U-Haul on the way. I'll just stop by on the way back and pick up an extension".

I took it into the DMV and the gal said that in the state of Oregon it does NOT need to be tagged, BUT if I planned to take it out of state like to WA or some place, it would be smart to have it tagged as other state's laws are different. CHA-CHING! $163 for title transfer and tags.

Stopped by U-Haul and picked up a $5 extension and then asked the gal if she would check my lights for me after it's hooked up. So she follows me out and as we are talking and walking she looks up and says "That is CUTE! Where did you get...uh oh...you gotta flat" I looked up...sure enough my left rear tire was flat on the trailer. But that was not the worst! Why did I not notice it last night? Maybe because it was 8:30 and I was in a hurry to get it home? The tires were studded tires....ALL THE WAY AROUND!!!!!!!!! O...M...G! That is a severe traffic fine waiting to happen!

So she airs the tire up for me and off I went to Schwabs a mile down the road for brand new tires all the way around. CHA-CHING! $517

Oh brother....

Get home and unhitch it. Parked the Suburban. Walk up to the house and the neighbor sees me, waves and says hi. I walked over to say hi back and the first words out of his mouth...."So...how's your day going?"... I let out a big sigh..."That bad eh?"..."Yeah...Extreme Makeover: Trailer Edition"

Messages In This Thread
Got a new goat hauler - by Teckelhut - 07-17-2014, 10:25 PM
RE: Got a new goat hauler - by Dave-Trinity-Farms - 07-18-2014, 05:44 AM
RE: Got a new goat hauler - by Nanno - 07-18-2014, 07:31 AM
RE: Got a new goat hauler - by Teckelhut - 07-18-2014, 05:28 PM
RE: Got a new goat hauler - by Charlie Horse - 07-18-2014, 10:56 PM
RE: Got a new goat hauler - by Teckelhut - 07-18-2014, 11:20 PM
RE: Got a new goat hauler - by Nanno - 07-19-2014, 06:02 PM
RE: Got a new goat hauler - by Teckelhut - 07-19-2014, 06:14 PM
RE: Got a new goat hauler - by IdahoNancy - 07-20-2014, 09:17 PM
RE: Got a new goat hauler - by Teckelhut - 07-20-2014, 09:33 PM